Drywall screw gun or screw setter bit ?

Started by Arky217, June 14, 2011, 01:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

I have never installed drywall yet, but will be installing it soon on my house. I have 70 sheets of 5/8" and 48 sheets of 1/2" to install.
I am wondering if it would be worth it to go to the expense of buying a dedicated drywall gun (about $80), or if I could get by with just using one of the drywall screw setter bits that you can use with a cordless drill/driver (I already have the drill/driver) ?

Has anyone used both, and if so, how much better does the dedicated gun work ?

I also already have a cordless impact driver that I used to install my subfloor and noticed that I had better control in not over/under driving the screws than I had in using the cordless drill/driver.
Is that a viable option for installing drywall as opposed to the screw setter bit ?

Thanks,
Arky

pmichelsen

I haven't used the setter bits, but I do own a dedicated gun and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

dug

I haven't used a drywall driver but I am sure it would be the ultimate tool for the job.

That said, I used the dimpling bits on my build and found them to work quite well.

fishing_guy

The dedicated gun would have 2 advantages.

1.  A clutch which engages when pressure is applied to the screw.  The advantage is straighter screw driving.

2.  A higher speed drive.  It get's 'er done quickly.

That being said, you could use a regular drill also.  Just a little more work and takes a bit longer.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

firefox

The dedicated driver will make things so much better.
Ask for opinions here on which one to get.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Redoverfarm

Have used both.  I prefer the driver.  But anymore if I have little jobs I just use a cordless drill with a phillips bit.  I have found over the years that the drivers bits sold at Lowes and the like have a very little wear life and don't quite fit the drywall screws.  I ran across the bit tips at Sears  (Pack of 20+) that are used in a magnetic holder.  They will out last the others 3 times whether you are using a driver or just a drill.  Once you hang a good bit of drywall you know how much pressure to apply and how far to sink the screw. Besides I usually can't find the driver when I need it.  ;)

Danfish

Hanging 70 sheets, especially when ceilings are involved, would favor the auto-feed driver.  The collated screws will cost a bit more, but the time savings and less wear and tear on the operator will be worth the extra price.  The Senco DuraSpin is a good unit.  Recommend buying only the cord model, even with he cord issues it is easier than dealing with dead batteries...and batteries sitting in storage for a long time is not good. Don't forget to get the longer 1 5/8 inch screws for the 5/8 rock.

When using a auto-feed driver slow down and make sure you are not hitting screw heads at an angle, or be prepared for gun jams!  Let the gun clutch do the work for you.

Another tool to consider is a 18V cordless hammer drill.  These little units give you much better control when driving screws and break fewer screws in some woods.  They are pricy with the Mikita running about $135.

One final thought...if you are placing 5/8 rock on ceilings...rent a lift, it will be the best money you ever spent!!!

dug

QuoteOne final thought...if you are placing 5/8 rock on ceilings...rent a lift, it will be the best money you ever spent!!!

Ditto on the lift! If you are doing it yourself consider buying one though, one week's rental would have cost me 10 bucks more than having one delivered to my door. I think it will be fairly easy to sell- want to buy mine?  ;D

rick91351

If you are doing much over head at all -- get a lift and a good gun.  PS -- You can use the dry wall gun for ceder fence as well.  :)   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.