Advice needed for porch

Started by ellbaker, April 18, 2011, 09:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellbaker

My porch will be 10x34 (full length of 1.5 story).  The deck will be 10 ft high to account for the basement. I need advice on how many posts should be used.  I thought 4 total would look best but would result in 11.5 ft span.  Do I need to add some posts to decrease the span?

Should I use sonotubes for the footings or is there another option?  I plan to use 6x6 posts. I would like to build square pilings that are covered with cultured stone.  I think the pilings should be built out of concrete blocks. Will the sonotube footings work with the concrete blocks?   

Redoverfarm

Not real sure of your question.  If you are running the porch perpendicular to the house (34') then evenly spaced would b 8'6".  

Unless your sonotubes are large diameter placing block on top willl not work very well. I would just pour fooings(square) to accomidate a double 8" or flue block filled with concrete and attaching bracket.  

Something similar to this.  These are a little high for your application but will give you some idea.  BTW there is a company now that makes cultured stone to wrap a 6X6 post.  If you are interested let me know and I will give you the site.

ellbaker

Sorry if my question was not clear but you answered most of it. I am interested in the link. I was also thinking that I could build a box with PT plywood around a 6x6 post and cover it with cultured stone. That would give me the look of larger pillars.

An 8'6" spacing would result in 5 total posts. I may add the 5th post to reduce my span from 11'+ to 8'6". 

Redoverfarm

Here is the site that  made reference to earlier

http://www.manufactured-rock.com/products2.htm

The post wrap stone is a new product and it does not appear on their "home" site yet.  I got a updated E-mail from them earlier this week but have since deleted it  d*.  But  am sure if you would contact them they will provide you with it.

I think I found part of what I had delete.  The portion on the lower right of this site page shows what the 6X6 wrap looks like.

http://www.manufactured-rock.com/MSI.htm

Depending on what you finally end up with on the transition from Block to Post will determine what you actually need.  By using either the double 8" or the flue block 15-5/8 sq you can frame out and build around the post to bring it to the same demensions of the block to give you a uniform look or slightly smaller for a more architectural look.  Just remember that to allow the thickness of Lathe and parge to make it the same demensions as the bottom (Block). By using double 8's or flue block the standard "flat" & "corners" stone will work eliminating the need for the special 6X6 wrap stone.

Sounds like a fun aspect to your build.