Author Topic: 28 X 40 California Redwoods  (Read 69921 times)

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
Re: 28 X 40 California Redwoods
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about being broken into.   I hope the perpetrators do get caught eventually.  The 2 guys that broke into our cabin were caught, we got lucky. One is serving time in a state pen while the other got off drugs and is working and making an attempt at restitution.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about the break ins... its a topic that angers me to no end.

Has anyone ever build good hiding places to store stuff when you are away?
I was just thinking when I redo my cabin to add a fake wall, maybe 2' offset that is accessible by some hidden door, like move a sofa and press the wall and a hidden panel opens.  Keep all the expensive tool there.  If someone does break in, they might think you bring stuff in every time and not dig around too much.  Maybe lock the door but leave the curtains open, so when they look they see nothing, no electronics or tools, maybe make them think twice about breaking in if there is nothing worth while to steal. 

I have a small car port, planning on parking the tractor there.  Currently there is a huge pile of old wood.  I was thinking to build in a hiding place for the generator in there, and make it look like a big pile of old wood, but lift up on a specific plank and the lid opens to reveal the hidden genny.  Some of you must have implemented some of these techniques before?

Offline pmichelsen

• Along the Eel River, Northern CA
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
The new basement that I'm adding will be my secure storage, and where I keep all of my tools.

But I'm doing a hidden wall like you're suggesting at my home, behind it is where I will store my gun safe and other valuables. I have a built in bookcase designed that will open with a small room behind it.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »
Spent the weekend up at the cabin and finally had a chance to go through everything and really see what was taken. Looks like it was about as I expected:

Blower, line trimmer, battery charger, gas cans, 2 cycle mix, tree pruning equipment, etc.

They also took random stuff like a roll of big contractor debris bags.

It seems like one of the main targets in the garage was my Yamaha Zuma. I didn’t feel like insuring it anymore so I’ve kept it up there to mess around and do stupid stuff with. I had a cable running through the rear tire that was locked to the frame and I parked it with the steering locked to one side. They cut through the cable but weren’t able to break out the ignition to free the steering. Looks like they used a jigsaw we had in the garage to try and cut the ignition. Never ceases to amaze me what thieves will do. Oh and they stole the shroud that covers the battery for the Zuma.

They messed with my Bobcat a little bit, but I have a lock especially designed for skid steers on it, so they really couldn’t do much there.

After my buddy’s son was up there it looks as though they came back as the latch that locks the garage was so mangled I could barely get the padlock out. I’m guessing they were coming back for the Zuma.

I replaced the latch and added a second one to the other side of the door.  I also added a bunch of blocking to reinforce the door, at the end of the day if they really want to get in they’re gonna get in, hopefully this is a big enough deterrent.

When I’m up there for NYE, I’ll bring the Zuma home, repair it and sell it.

They didn't steal either of our plug in electric blowers so I used one of them to clean off my roof, let me tell you that will be the last time I use one of those. A little too dangerous with the cord being a trip hazard, I had to watch myself very carefully so that i didn't end up over the side, with the deck gone it's a lot farther to fall.

All in all it wasn't too bad, and we still had a good trip. My daughter did great on her first long car ride (was about four hours) and seemed to acclimate to cabin life quickly.

Offline rich2Vermont

• Vermont 10x16 Shed With Loft
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:53 AM »
So sorry about your break ins. I'm lucky that I haven't had that problem, at least not yet. I do keep a couple of trail cams there - one in plain sight, one more hidden. At least that way I know when I've had visitors. We're off-grid with no cell coverage, but at our new place and eventual retirement home, I have a couple Blink cams installed and I get alerts with video whenever there's motion detected. Definitely worth the couple hundred bucks.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
Spent Memorial Day weekend up at the cabin, I switched jobs a few months back and went from unlimited PTO to five days a year. So my cabin work time will be greatly reduced, but I was able to start digging out for the new foundation/basement. Still have about 2/3 of the way to go and I'll need to dig the perimeter another foot deeper for a footing, but it's a start. The plan is to head up again in a few weeks and dig the rest.

All in all it wasn't too bad digging. I started out at the edge and dug a trench to my final depth for the slab floor, and then just started digging my way under the cabin. When my buddies saw these photos the light bulb clicked on as to what I did last year. They all had trouble grasping why I had installed the temporary posts so deep.

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 38 - 1124KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00208s for 40,818 bytes (show)
Queries used: 28.

[Show Queries]