Sound issues

Started by MikeT, September 17, 2006, 09:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Hello again,

As I was reading ahead on my many books on the fun subject of home construction, I came upon a fairly technical section dealing with designing for quiet in homes.  Since I am building the Victoria's Cottage and will have a full basement below, I want to make sure I am taking into account the effect of my construction and finishing choices on the liveliness (with respect to sound) of the house's interior.   For these small homes, what are some things to consider if I want a house that is comfortably quiet?  

Thanks.

glenn kangiser

If you have concerns about any room being quieter, you can use 2x6 plates and stagger 2x4 studs then weave insulation between them so the sound will not transfer from one side to the other.  Takes extra studs but results in a quiet wall as sometimes used in Motels - Condo's etc.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

I live in a townhouse and rent out the unit next door.  The adjoinging wall has a serparate wall for each unit, with the 2X4s offset.  VERY seldom we ever hear sound, and we both have kids.
god helps those who help them selves

Miedrn

I read a tidbit recently where it talks about caulking the interior walls at the floor and ceiling. I'm not sure how much sound transmission that would provide but it sounded good.

What does everyone think of this idea? Would it be worth the extra time?

I'm looking for alternatives to the interior insulation package made famous by the pink panther site.

Rover

For a floor assembly,
A) obviously fill the joist space with batt insulation.

B) If you are using drywall for a ceiling, use what I call resilient channels.  Its light metal 'strapping' that is screwed to the u/s of joists.  The drywall is then screwed to the channels away from the joists.  The resilient channels absorbs the sound vibration which is a big source of noise.  I think it helps with uneven bottom of floor joists also.
Resilent channels are used mainly on commercial jobs.  I have it at my house and it makes a big difference.  Very inexpensive.  

C) Another simple improvement is to have carpet or a rug on the floor.

jraabe

Good suggestions all...

Sound by "conduction" travels through the framing and construction materials. This is best reduced much the same way you do for heat conduction with insulation to isolate the conducting materials: batts, foam or isolation materials between vibrating surfaces.

Also air sealing will go a long way to reduce sound.

MikeT

It has been a long time since I posted my original question.  I have already done much of what was recommended here, but I am now looking at my wall finishes.  I am especially concerned about how live the space is.  Has anyone used any of the homasote (www.homasote.com), especially the burlap panels?

Thanks,
mt