I smell a lawsuit....

Started by NM_Shooter, May 05, 2010, 07:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Warning... inappropriate language in link.

While I think the shirt was vulgar, I think the judge was out of line. 

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0505101tshirt1.html

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

eddiescabin

Hardly, the girl is trash and there is much precedent for such contempt charges.  You can be cited for wearing a tank top or shorts in court, even without the lame message. 

Woodsrule

Good for the judge. It is exactly this type of behavior that has coarsened our culture and it needs to be addressed when possible. A courtroom is not the place to express yourself in this manner. If this young girl thinks this type of clothing is appropriate for a courtroom, then I pity her parent(s).

NM_Shooter

So... I'm disgusted by the girl too.  But I think the judge was off her rocker.  According to the documents, this girl got 2 days in jail just for showing up in court like that.  She didn't argue, give the judge crap, nothing. 

The judge should have removed her from the courtroom.  Two days in jail for that is crazy. 

MountainDon

According to the article the girl was not given a chance to cover up or leave the courtroom. The judge simply had her locked up for twp days. It may have been trashy, it may have been stupid, but it did not deserve to be jailed without being given a chance to leave or cover up.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Speaking of getting in trouble for what you wear, get a load of this:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

MountainDon

No problems with  St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, and the Chinese New Year celebrations are there?

US Flag code states that "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." (Flag Code, Section 8d). So if one wants to be a nit picker flag shirts are wrong.     ???

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/wallofshame.htm
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I think that is meant to keep folks from using an actual flag as apparel.... what is your take on that?  Many times the US flag is displayed on clothing, either in silkscreen print or embroidered patch.  I have no issue with that sort of display.  It would be interesting to see what the American Legion thinks.

Heck, there are many flag traditions that I see violated all the time.  A couple are the display of the American flag with the flag being positioned incorrectly (flag left vs. flag right), and many flags outside all night with no illumination. 

MountainDon

I don't sweat the clothing thing so much, although I have never owned a shirt with a flag, Canadian or USA, printed on it.

The left-right, or vertical with the blue and white star field on the wrong side and flags dark at night I look at more as opportunites to educate and then leave to the owner. I'm not going to fire bomb anyone for something like that.  ;D

eddiescabin

IMHO Simply removing the woman from the courtroom would not impart what a classless trashy whore she is.  Obvie her parents were out for drinks for 18+ years...she needed thrown in jail or she would be spouting all about what a bit#& the judge is to all her friends.

bayview

I was taught to respect the flag.  We even had "Pledge of Allegiance" every day at school.   Every morning the principal came over the loud speaker and we put our hands over our hearts, faced the flag and said the pledge.   Yes, we had flags on pedestals in every classroom. 

I have the flag that was draped and then folded from my fathers casket.   It reminds me of who he was and the generation he came from . . .     A depression era WWII vet that worked hard.   Always did the "right thing".   Stepped up to the plate if he had done something wrong.   And would go the "extra mile" to make it right.   God, his country and his family were very important.   He would say "that's their right" even on things he didn't agree with.   

I can overlook American flags on clothes.    Flags not lit at night.  The flag used in advertisements.   What really gets to me are flags that are weathered and torn.   Somehow, that to me is very disrespectful.   Taking the time to show the flag, but not taking care of it.   

And, make sure you remove your hat and put your hand over your heart during a parade . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

NM_Shooter

Bayview, I agree.  I was in an assembly with a bunch of kids when colors were presented by the ROTC group in prep for the Anthem.  There were some older teens in front of my goofing off, and while I usually overlook kids acting up, I told them to settle down and take off their hats.  Oddly, they did.  Here in ABQ we also have a huge flag flying at the intersection of I25 and I40, and it is frequently very, very dirty.  Annoys me really bad.  Apparently it bothered someone else too... I can't remember the whole story, but I think  a homeless vet took that flag down and took it to a cleaner without telling anyone first (not sure how he got it down though).  Anyway, the city was pretty upset until they realized they were shamed.

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 06, 2010, 03:45:29 PM

Heck, there are many flag traditions that I see violated all the time.  A couple are the display of the American flag with the flag being positioned incorrectly (flag left vs. flag right)...

Someone should tell the US military.

MountainDon

The Flag Code permits some leeway on that, I guess to prove that are are many exceptions to 'rules'. The Slate article did explain the following...

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

Since the Flag Rules do not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve.

Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations (as in Iraq), the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve (see picture), 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches. (Class A uniform excepted.)

NM_Shooter

Flag right refers to the position of the flag when displayed on a stage or wall with other colors.  Facing out from the stage, the US flag is to be presented on the right hand side of the podium.  If you are facing the stage from the audience, the US flag is on the left. 

MountainDon

When talking about uniforms left and right meaning is different. This is a left flag

The following is a right or reversed flag...

Right and left have different meanings when viewing larger flags as opposed to flag patches intended for uniforms as Frank pointed out. BTW, only military, emergency and patriotic organizations are permitted flag patches, by the flag code.

Interesting thing about the flag code is that it is a law that has no provision for penalties, and if it did they would likely violate the first amendment.