Slab foundation questions

Started by SardonicSmile, November 23, 2009, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

I'm going to have a 600 sq ft monolithic 4' slab in South Carolina. I am hearing prices anywhere from $3,000 to $15000 and it's starting to worry me! So, a few questions.

- What can I expect to spend paying someone to get the plumbing/water right before I pour the slab?

- How much will the slab cost including excavation, finishing, etc..

- Is it possible to NOT run my plumbing/water from the concrete, and have them coming up from the sides of the house instead?

devildog

[quote author=SardonicSmile link=topic=7979.msg102221#msg102221 date=125900192

- Is it possible to NOT run my plumbing/water from the concrete, and have them coming up from the sides of the house instead?
[/quote]

Not for sewer pipes. Although, I guess you could frame/raise up the floor in the bathroom.

I would think the slab would be pretty expensive, Im paying $4300. for crawlspace and footers , and still have to pay  a backhoe to dig footers
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

RainDog

4500 was what I was quoted for a slab here on OK. Wouldn't think that SC would be much different.
NE OK

Redoverfarm

Quote from: SardonicSmile on November 23, 2009, 01:45:26 PM
I'm going to have a 600 sq ft monolithic 4' slab in South Carolina. I am hearing prices anywhere from $3,000 to $15000 and it's starting to worry me! So, a few questions.

- What can I expect to spend paying someone to get the plumbing/water right before I pour the slab?

It is sort of hard to answer that which would be dependent on the labor involved and the going rate.  I would decided what I wanted and where and get some estimates.  Plumbers around here are about $30 hr and then you have the excavation of the lines on top of that.

- How much will the slab cost including excavation, finishing, etc..

Again it depends.  Concrete is about $130 yard so you can go from there and figure your demensions of the slab, thickness and the approximate of the footers.  Excavation again would be dependent on the labor involved and the going rate of equipment.  Here it is between $55 & 75 Hr.

Yes you can run it overhead with the exception of the sewer and then again you could accomplish this with a lift pump but it might be cost prohibitive. 

There are many homes plumbed on a slab.  It is perfectly fine as long as you take precautions as not to disturb the underlying soil to prevent it from settling.  I would use all Sch 40 or maybe a littler heavier for the underslab portion and then resort to regular once you come out of the slab.

Squirl

Sounds reasonable for a slab.  3 workers at least at $200 a day.  The slab without the footings would be around 8 cubic yards.  Add another 3 yards for the footings for 11 yards.  An average price of concrete is 90-110 a yard.  So around $1100 estimate for the concrete. That comes to around $1800 there. Add in the rebar/wire mesh, excavation, equipment, and profit, $3000 isn't that far off.

glenn kangiser

I agree with Squirl.  $128 a cu yd here plus a bit of mileage and calcium if needed.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.