Nail Gun

Started by southernsis, June 15, 2009, 06:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

Just bought a Hitachi NR83A2 Framing nailer. What air compressor would be the best to buy? It needs 70-120 PSI. Don't want to spend a fortune, but something that would do the job. Don't have a clue on these.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

Redoverfarm

I have a Porter Cable 5 gal pancake which does a good job with my Bostich nailer.  There are others just as good.  If that is all that will be running at one time there is no need for anything bigger.  Only down side to a small compressor(tank) is that it will come on more often than larger capacities. Might check on-line with Lowes or HD and see what kind of price and styles they have.

peternap

I second Redovers choice. If you are doing something that requires repeat nails like subfloor, you may have to slow down some to allow it to catch up, but for most uses it is fine.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Don_P

I have a big 220 volt 5 horse unit we take out to build houses with, it can handle several guns and has enough ooomph to work hard all day. We have a little Bostitch pancake that was a good package deal at Lowes with 2 trim guns. Its easy for one person to load where the other takes 2 people and some wheaties. I could burn up the little one pretty easily using a framing gun if I wanted to, it does take some care to let it keep up and I try to mix it up to give it cool down time but I do like having it.

bayview

I found that the dual tank air compressor you can purchase for about $200.00 at WallyMart was sufficient to run my Paslode framing nailer . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Sonoran

I third Peter and Red's choice. I worked construction for only 3 years and didn't need to buy many of the more important tools, I did however buy the Pancake compressor made by Porter Cable. It is 6 gallon at 150 P.S.I.  My last boss, my father-in-law had one and we used it for all jobs. It worked just fine, just had to pace yourself while "nailing off." It wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't even that much slower. I just couldn't hold down the trigger and tap them off as fast as I could like I did with a bigger compressor.

I liked it because it was light and easy to carry. If you want something bigger, make sure it comes with wheels and a handle. ;)   I also suggest a compressor that has two gauges. One for the overall tank pressure and one for regulated pressure.  That way the tank will fill up to the maximum automatically and you can shoot at say 70 P.S.I. and it takes longer for the compression to run out because it starts at 150 instead of 70.

I'm actually starting to second guess that last part. My first boss had a compressor with only one gauge for regulated pressure. And I wonder, did the tank go to maximum despite what the regulated pressure was at, or did it go to the regulated pressure? Anyone know. I'm starting to think maybe I was fooled by the two gauges because the tanks always go their max pressure...
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

Don_P

Yup, the tank goes to the pressure set by the pressure switch. It works pretty much just like the pressure switch on your well pump. A guage on the regulator is the critical one. The tank guage lets you know if the compressor head is wearing or the switch is failing. Most people have no real need for that guage.
Generally there is no need to exceed 100 psi on the regulator guage. As long as we're on the topic one safety note. I've worked in places that had twin stage compressors that put out 170 psi and then we regulated it down to 100. One of the nail gun repair guys came by and told us that a gun had exploded when someone plugged it into an unregulated high pressure line. I've used some compressors that people have fooled with the pressure switch and they produce relatively high pressure, do keep an eye on the regulator guage.

glenn kangiser

I have a Dewalt by Emglo - 1750 RPM compressor so it will last longer and goes to 200 lbs so more air stored in the smaller tank - the second gauge regulates it down to about 120 or so working pressure or what ever you set it at.  It is a great compressor but a bit more expensive  -
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

That's a nice nailer StinkerBell.  I have one of those, a Porter Cable, and Bostitch.  The Hitatchi is a hardy piece of equipment.  I have always had twin tank compressors.  They are heavier than pancake, but once youo get the hang of using a framing nailer, the pancakes just can't keep up.  It is a good option though, for someone who will not be using it too often.  The thing about compressors is, you should get the best one you can afford, that will run any tool you may want to use with it.  This may include sanders and grinders too, especially if you are into old cars! ;D
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!