Roof Slope for Second Floor

Started by Billisnice, April 08, 2009, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I am building a 24 x 32 with 6" walls. What roof slope will give a decent upstairs area and not look out of proportion?

thanks

Billisnice

i am wanting the craftman style front...

Redoverfarm

As the saying goes "it depends".  Meaning what is the snow load if any in your area?  Appearence would be the second.  To give you the upmost out of the second story/loft then a 10/12 or 12/12 would apprioate.  There are alot of houses going to a 10/12 for this very reason.  It is beyond a practical walking surface as is 12/12 but actually how often would to get on your roof.  The initial installation would be a little more but the room gained would offset that.  I personally went with a 10/12 in a 16'X40' after figuring the advantage over a 8/12 or 6/12.  If you have a flat surface capable of laying it out you will actually see the difference.

Here is a similar sized cabin being built near me.  It has a 12/12 pitch

rwanders

My vote is for a 12/12 if you are planning for a loft---it will give you a lot more usable floor space and will look terrific on a craftsman style. I went for 12/12 on my 24x34 (including double decked 10x24 covered porches) with 12' walls and couldn't be happier. You can see pictures of mt cabin if you search under "rwanders"
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

I second, or third, whatever the count is... the 12/12 if you are wanting to make best use of a loft space.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I prefer 12/12 for conventional building.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billisnice

rwanders, could you give me a link to the house? Thanks

What height wall would look the best and be most practical? 9', 10' or 12'?

rwanders

Sent pictures to via email-----I have 12' walls including 3' knee walls in loft area
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida