Pegboard for joist insulation support, has it held up ?

Started by Arky217, October 26, 2008, 04:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

Has anyone used either 1/8", 3/16", or 1/4" perforated pegboard on the bottom of floor joists to support the insulation and for rodent control ? If so, how has it held up as far as mouse-proof, sagging, and durability in general ?

( I know that 1/4" hardware cloth is sometimes used for this, but I wonder if it may let some of the insulation (cellulose) drop through; also it's about twice the price of the pegboard in my area. )

Thanks,
Arky

glenn kangiser

Mice can pretty easily chew through the peg board, and some I took off of a wall was deteriorating so I wouldn't trust it with mice.

The 1/4 hardware cloth is about all the forestry study, I think it was, approved as successful for doing a good job of rodent control including mice. 

I would say the cheaper peg board would likely be at least a partial waste of money, unless one problem makes it a total waste. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hnash53

I have had 1/4" peg board up since 2001 to cover the bottoms of my floor joists.  We've not had any problems with critters getting in.  My problem is that snow blows in underneath the cabin and has caused some of the pegboard to swell up some.  But it is still all intact.  I'd use it again if I had to.  Spraying it with some waterseal might prevent the moisture from getting to it... My cabin is in Wyoming where it's high and dry most of the year.  This probably helps the moisture problem.

Redoverfarm

I will have to side with Glenn on this one.  The difference in cost would be minimun in comparison with the detoriating of the peg board and the mice chewing through it. Not to mention trying to eradicating them after they have made their nest in the fiberglass and possibly getting into the living area.  I don't like anything smaller than raisins in my cereal bowl.  ;D

glenn kangiser

As Hal found - it may be a possibility that they will not but with the wire properly installed and maintained - kept tight - no gaps - lath over edges etc, they for sure will not.  I just repaired a wall and added wire over internal wall mouse holes chewed through Doug Fir, so if they get an edge or place to start and want to, they likely will be able to.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jb52761

Not intending to interrupt the thread, but my mouse story...some got into my cabin two years ago...they chewed right through my tubes of oil paints ( I paint on canvas).....a week or so later, I found mouse poop in places, and it was all different colors !!!   Looked like the little sprinkles you see on cupcakes !!!!!    To this day, I don't do cupcakes... ???

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Pegboard and hardboard share a similarity with OSB. They don't like moisture in excess. The "tempered" variety may be better. All in all I believe plywood (3/8" CDX) is a better bet with some strips of hardware cloth is you want ventilation.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Could be good for a lot of things, but it is not totally as good as they say - a deer made holes through the deer netting with it's feet when it climbed for vegetables -- but it usually works.

I would expect mice to get through or chew through plastic pretty easily.

cordwood

It only works if you put flashing around walls and center supports. And it has to be high enough the critters can't reach it from the ground, But it holds up real well in moist conditions out of the light and it's easy to work with. I used some from another company that I can't find anymore that had a fiber in it that was super tough. Steel is the only thing mice can't get through eventualy >:(
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

When it comes to mice one must remember they are agile acrobats.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cordwood

I cut it three times and it's still too short.