I need a little help please part 1

Started by peternap, December 18, 2008, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I would appreciate it if anyone that has dogs, could measure their necks. I'll explain a little later. I can'y use Zeus since he has a neck like a Brahma Bull. This will prevent injury to dogs.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

cordwood

Old Cattle Dog 18", Young Cattle Dog 16",......... ???
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on December 18, 2008, 06:51:41 PM
11"

Thanks SB! That's a big dog :-\

Here's what I'm doing. Since I have a dog hunter problem...and I assume they taste too bad to eat, I have to do something with the dogs. I can shoot them or trap them. I'm going to trap them using snares. The problem with snares is they can and usually kill what's in them. I'm putting a button stop in the snare to prevent it closing completely when it locks. I just need to figure the right size.

I'm going to give the SOB's their dogs back once. Second time, they go to the pound.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on December 18, 2008, 06:59:01 PM
...and I assume they taste too bad to eat, I have to do something with the dogs.

I believe a good marinade will help just about anything.

Google "cook dog Korean"    ::) ::)   also Vietnamese
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Don, if you notice, Peter did not distinguish if it were dogs that were untasty, or if the dog hunters (I presume owners) are unpalatable.

Peter, please clarify.  If the latter, I may have some contacts in Borneo that can assist with the menu.

-f-

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on December 18, 2008, 07:45:19 PM
Quote from: peternap on December 18, 2008, 06:59:01 PM
...and I assume they taste too bad to eat, I have to do something with the dogs.

I believe a good marinade will help just about anything.

Google "cook dog Korean"    ::) ::)   also Vietnamese

Actually Don......I was talking about the Hunters, not the dogs >:( They're also too ugly to hang on the wall and their hides stink so much, I don't want to make anything out of them. Might make good fertilizer ;D

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on December 18, 2008, 08:25:53 PM

Actually Don......I was talking about the Hunters, not the dogs

talk to Frank.  ;)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Had the same problem as you years ago. Didn't use snares, instead I built a live trap I ended  up caching the same dog three times. Frist time I called the hunter to come and get his dog ( had the phone# on his collar)second time the dog went to the pound third time the dog went for a long rige to my buddy's farm. The man that owned the dog came over a broke my trap on the second go round. I cought him in the act brused him up a bit and stood on his hair until the police showed up and took him to the pound.
I don't believe it is the dogs falt and if you use snares you might kill one or two then your going to have to dig a hole and bury the poor things. Or you might catch things you don't want to kill. If you build a trap you can use it to catch other things and let them go if you want.

Good luck,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

peternap

Quote from: Whitlock on December 18, 2008, 09:30:28 PM
Had the same problem as you years ago. Didn't use snares, instead I built a live trap I ended  up caching the same dog three times. Frist time I called the hunter to come and get his dog ( had the phone# on his collar)second time the dog went to the pound third time the dog went for a long rige to my buddy's farm. The man that owned the dog came over a broke my trap on the second go round. I cought him in the act brused him up a bit and stood on his hair until the police showed up and took him to the pound.
I don't believe it is the dogs falt and if you use snares you might kill one or two then your going to have to dig a hole and bury the poor things. Or you might catch things you don't want to kill. If you build a trap you can use it to catch other things and let them go if you want.

Good luck,W

Thought about that Whitlock. I even build two cage traps...but I'm dealing with at least 25 dogs and have a couple of miles of property line to cover. I figure it will take 75 traps and I just can't build that many cage traps.

StinkerBell

I have rat terror's, I mean terriers....

StinkerBell

Set a trap using a lot of exlax, then call the owner to pick them up. tell they got 20 minutes to pick the dog up or off to the pound.

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on December 18, 2008, 09:49:25 PM
Set a trap using a lot of exlax, then call the owner to pick them up. tell they got 20 minutes to pick the dog up or off to the pound.

No phone coverage there.

NM_Shooter

Unbelievable that those dog owners have no respect for your property.  With that many dogs, (I hate to say this) but I think I would just start to shoot them and make it as quick as possible.  I suspect that after dogs start to disappear that maybe they will start to get the idea.

Actually, you know what would be fun?  Catch a few of those dogs and swap the radio collars on them.  Put them in your truck and take them for a ride.

You are a kinder man than I am to suggest returning the dogs to the owners without penalty.  Are these valuable dogs, or just hounds that like to chase deer?

wildbil

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

Peter .. I've been skimming the forum and missed the intent of the original message.

I measured Spike's neck.  23" - American Bulldog

Suzy and Princeless 16" and 15"  Border collie/Queensland /Heinz mix

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

NM_Shooter

You know what?  On second thought, I think snares might work.  That last picture made me think that it might be okay.  Use webbing to make the snare, and attach the top of the snare to either some sort of bungee or sapling so that there is a lot of give to it. 

-f-

peternap

I can't use webbing NM. It won't work.
These are Coyote snares for the record. It' illegal to trap dogs but I can snare coyotes year around. If a dog gets in one and dies, it shouldn't have been there.

I don't want to kill dogs though so I had to design the snares a little differently.

Snares for larger game have to be aircraft cable or #9 wire (Or bigger) to work.

Wire is a death sentence so I won't use it.

With the cable, you use locks to keep it from loosening. There are a million kinds of licks...Washer locks, slider locks, cam locks,,,,so on, but what I'm using is a relaxing lock. This eases up a tad when the animal does. I'm making them extra long so they relax 1".

In Va, loops can only have a 12" opening and can't be more than 12" off the ground. This is difficult to use on an animal the size of a coyote unless you set it in an opening in a fence or something.

Just setting a baited snare requires a way to flip the noose up and over the animals head or foot. They make special springs that look like a steel trap to do that...but they cost about thirty bucks each. You can do the same thing with a spring pole snare but there is never a good sized sapling where you need it.

I have built some stand alone traps just for this. They use a fiberglass electric fence pole as the spring pole, with a baited trigger. I designed these so I can either do a neck snare, or foot snares or both. Since snares are really only good for one catch, the trap uses replaceable snare loops.

I will loose some using both the stop and the releasing lock, but I 'd rather do that than kill them. Like I said, it's not the Coyote's fault it is owned by a shiftless son of a .................

glenn kangiser

In the above pix my  jeep battery went dead when I was prospecting.  That was a tie down strap leash as I had to walk the dogs next to the highway and they weren't used to being around highway traffic.  I didn't want one to get loose but they were on their good behavior so all was well.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Most snares I've seen have been activated by the forward motion of the animal as it goes down a game trail, or entry into a hole in a barn. 

Can you set up baited snares in a box?  Put some meat or whatever on a stick in a box, place the snare along the front opening of the box and  have it trigger off of the bait stick?  Or would this require too much spring tension resulting in damage or death to the dog?

Let us know how you work this out.... I'd like to see pictures too.

-f-

peternap

That's the normal way to set a snare but, with the size limitations her, it is difficult to guarantee a hit.

You can set a snare the way you described, but it is almost a guaranteed kill because the animal is restricted in his movement. That type of set is an extremely good one for survival trapping. You can use the pipe or box to keep larger animals out of the traps as well.

It will work with body gripping traps as well as snares.