DWV setup-- to be covered by a slab

Started by MikeT, November 03, 2007, 06:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I have read the Hemp book and others dealing with plumbing, but I am still in need of some feedback or words of encouragement for my DWV setup for a my basement slab.  

Below are two pictures that show my proposed setup for my bathroom:

In the first picture, you will see my toilet set up with a proposed 2" vent running off a wye.  Then after a LT 90 lying flat, you see a 3" line connecting by a wye for  the toilet in the bathroom in the floor above.

In the second picture, you will see the same 3" line draining the second floor toilet above plus a 1 1/2" wye that will drain the lavatory in the bathroom.

Not pictured but connecting downline is a wye that is picking up the baths in the slab and the bathroom above it.  This is a 3" line that reduces to a 2" line.

Assuming I have the required slope and get the pipes glued together, capped where needed and holding a 10' head, does this setup seem appropriate?

Thanks for any thoughts you have...

MikeT

Here is the second picture:

Redoverfarm

Pretty confusing. I think I know what you are trying to do. You can incorporate all the second story drains into your 3" line coming to the slab which will eliminate alot. Also you could have incorporated your vent line into the first "Y" to continue above to your second story. You mentioned something about 3" to 2" from the upstairs bathroom. I hope that is not a toilet.  Did you incorporate a cleanout at the end or midways?  I thinnk you said something about slab bathtub. Did you allow for a P-trap in your slab as unlike sinks the tub/shower drain to the bottom and would not allow a trap to be put when using a slab.  

ScottA

Not the most elegant solution but I don't see why it's wouldn't work. Be sure that 2" vent for the toilet is rolled up atlest on a 45 degree angle. The vent needs to come off the top of the pipe and not the side. It looks like it is in the picture but it's hard to tell. If not then you need a new plan. Make sure that flange gets anchored to the floor after it's built. Also that 90 looks like a short sweep not a long sweep. Needs to be a long sweep.

Scott

MikeT

Thanks for both of your comments.  I have talked with so many people (including 3 plumbers) and all have different ways of tackling the design and layout.  The hardest/most confusing part for me is that when I show one plumber one design, another will comment "that won't pass inspection" and then sketch out something different.  Then that design gets critiqued or altered by another person reviewing it.

Originally I was going for a simple straight line DWV, but it seems that I just was trying to do too much and so have to branch off and take care of somethings in another area.

I should mention that around the toilet flange and the bathtub area where the P trap will go, I will be pouring around those areas and will place a bucket over each area to protect those spots.  Then when I am exactly sure of the locations, I can mix a few bags of concrete and fill in.

glenn kangiser

You can put a cardboard box of sand over the temporary pipe ends, about 1'2 inch under grade then after you pour, finish the floor over it .  Later break out the thin concrete - tapping with a hammer will find it -- then finish your final pipe setting.  

As mentioned above - looks like it will work to me.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.