Planer blades

Started by MountainDon, October 26, 2007, 04:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I quit browsing the tool department to a large degree a number of years ago. I had most of what I needed and saved money by not buying new stuff that I might not really need. So, from time to time I am surprised when I do look or find myself needing something.

Current case in point. I had a brain lapse and ran my Makita 1900B power hand planer over a board I was certain was free of all hardware. It was not, and a significant gouge was put into the pair of probably 12 + year old tungsten carbide blades. Too much to easily grind and hone away.  :'( The closest local supplier had only HSS blades and wanted $20 for the set. He had another brand of TC blades that would fit for $75!  :o Too much!!

Searching the internet I found my surprise! A conversion kit for my Makita 1900B that allows it to use the newer, smaller TC blades that fit in a holder. $17.00 with a set of skinny TC blades. Replacement double sided blade set at $8.78.

This may all be old hat to everyone else. But in case there is someone else living under a similar rock I thought I'd disperse the "news".

Found the blades at http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/D-17239/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peter nap

Thanks for the link Don!

Nicking planer blades is almost an art form with me.

MountainDon

Fast enough too. I ordered on the evening of the 23rd and they came in todays mail, priority post, their least expensive shipping at $4.55.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm