Advice for log cabin homes

Started by minnowcat, January 28, 2016, 03:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minnowcat

Hi Everyone,

First of all let me say I'm so happy to have found countryplans :)

I want to build a log cabin this year and I'm hoping this will mean I will be mortgage free!

Just wondering if anyone here has built one and has any tips for me and what to do, not to do etc...

I've done a quick search on the forum and didn't see anything...

Thanks

Stein

If you are looking to build yourself you should google "butt and pass log home".  Easier design than notching all of your own logs.

Don_P

Are you starting by kicking the squirrels out or purchasing milled logs?
If you are starting in the woods describe the method you would like to use... are you handscribing, sawing 2 or more sides, post and beam?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: minnowcat on January 28, 2016, 03:54:45 PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me say I'm so happy to have found countryplans :)

I want to build a log cabin this year and I'm hoping this will mean I will be mortgage free!

Just wondering if anyone here has built one and has any tips for me and what to do, not to do etc...

I've done a quick search on the forum and didn't see anything...

Thanks

If you do a search for "log cabin" in the search feature just on the right of the menu bar there are 12 pages coming up relating to log cabins.  Where you live might be a deciding factor in availability and suitability.

Not sure what style you are after or whether you are looking for new construction or antique logs.  There is more maintenance for log construction than conventional construction.  The insulation factor is not as great either.  With that being said here is a link to mine which is a mix of hand hewn antique logs and conventional board & batten. 

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.0

Grimjack

I took a class from these guys, www.buildloghomes.org a lot of good information, but I ultimately decided it looked like way too much work.

MushCreek

We considered building a log home early on, but were discouraged the more we learned. Several issues: Log walls settle and shrink- a lot. The frames around windows and doors have to be designed for this. Log walls are not as well-insulated as they would have you believe. Log structures require more exterior maintenance, such as pressure washing and re-staining the logs. I'm not trying to be overly negative; just giving you some things to think about.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

rick91351

If you want to build a log cabin this year, please describe what you have in mind. What kind of logs are available in your area? If your talking felling - bucking - debarking - curing and all, chances are you might have wanted to start a few couple years ago. Now if you are thinking of a 'kit home' it can be done this year.  I will parrot  what MushCreek states.  Log Homes as not the insulation mecca as they - the kit makers make them sound.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

minnowcat

Quote from: Grimjack on January 28, 2016, 09:21:11 PM
I took a class from these guys, www.buildloghomes.org a lot of good information, but I ultimately decided it looked like way too much work.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner guys- work has been keeping me busy  d*

I will come on tomorrow to respond to everyones comments :)

I have heard of them Grimjack- what was the course like? Did they teach you everything you need to build a log cabin? I've also heard of logcabinhub but I'm not sure if they run courses? Have you heard of them?

Grimjack

It was a lot of general information. And a lot of time was spent on how to get free logs. I didn't feel ready to run out and build a cabin afterwords, but it was certainly very interesting.