Do I need plans for this house?

Started by db4570, September 23, 2015, 09:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db4570

I am thinking about eventually building a small house on our property, and saw this one which looks like exactly what I had in mind:

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=44111

I like the look of it, the roof shape, the front porch, and the simple design that looks like it would be straightforward for me to build. I am thinking it would be ideal for a pier and beam foundation. Maybe I'd like it to be a few feet longer in each dimension...

I don't want to spend what this outfit charges for the plans. I looked through the plans here on Countryplans, and didn't see anything like it. This is my favorite discussion forum, and I'd love to support it.

Do I really need official plans for such a simple design? I took my share of drafting classes, and can draw some simple floor plans. Plus there are all these software programs out there, none of which I've explored in depth yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

MushCreek

Only your local building authority can tell you what plans you need, if any. In our areas, you don't submit any plans up-front. After you build the house, you submit very basic as-built plans. All they really want to know is how much TAX to charge you. Other areas require multiple sets of plans with engineering and all sorts of other stuff. A very few remote areas have no local building authority, and you can do whatever you want.

You might be able to draw your own plans- I did. You need to follow prescriptive building codes to be sure it is strong and safe. Building, electric, and plumbing codes are all available on-line. First you need to find out what the local authorities (if there are any) require. Google Sketch-Up is a free design program and many use it. I did all of my design work using it.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

That is not an easy question to answer. The price on those plans is very, very reasonable.
You can draw them. I'd be very curious what value you would place on them at the end of that time. Not being mean just a reality check.

rick91351

I bought a set about ten years ago.  Thinking I wanted to build a small cabin on our ranch.  Found what I wanted, ordered them, took them down to the plain and zoning.  Builder Bob the inspector who I did not know at all at the time would not even look at them.  Because where I was going to build now required everything to be submitted with an engineer's stamp.  So there that went right out the window. 

Check before you buy any plans what your county is currently requiring!   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

db4570

Thanks for the replies.

I have had a brief chat with the code guy, and he's very reasonable. I'll double check with him, but I don't think they're very stringent at all. This is a sparsely populated rural town.

It's $400 or so for the plans, then more if I want to change dimensions, then they list separate prices for the foundation type, which I don't understand. Plus I know nothing about this outfit.

David

rick91351

Quote from: db4570 on September 24, 2015, 09:54:38 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have had a brief chat with the code guy, and he's very reasonable. I'll double check with him, but I don't think they're very stringent at all. This is a sparsely populated rural town.

It's $400 or so for the plans, then more if I want to change dimensions, then they list separate prices for the foundation type, which I don't understand. Plus I know nothing about this outfit.

David

Foundation plans are pretty self explanatory I think.  If you want slab - crawl space - basement you have to pay extra.  What is is drawn with looks like Pole/Piling.

Cool House Plans have been around a long time.  I would trust them.

Side bar - You can not hardly get any more sparely rural than where we live. That has little to do with poor building practices and failures. Code is the least you can get away with safely.  That is one reason our country had to get strict; deals with snow loads. One persons idea of building it stout might totally be contrary to the real world.  Problems seemed to deal with building failures due to snow loads.  Some tables were over looked or looked the other way with, then getting in a court battles over you passed the plans it is your fault.  So ....... we ended up with them cleaning out the whole department and hiring new and they developed a real hard nosed approach.  They have since lightened up a lot.   

Looking at your plans they are pretty old I would guess as they are showing 2X4 walls exterior.  Regardless I would go with 2X6 called for or not, because of the added insulation value.  They will honestly pay for themselves very quickly.   

It is showing also one bed room on what you are buying however the drawing is showing two.  I would check that out as well.

DIY plans are pretty easy and you sure learn a lot about what you are going to build. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NathanS

I'm a little late to the party, but I've always heard those called a "Trapper Style Cabin." If you google that, you should get a bunch of pics.

If you don't have a basement, you'll need to figure out what to do with the utilities.

db4570

Now that I think about it more, $430 for the plans doesn't sound too bad. Although I sure the cost will go up a lot once I start modifying things.

I'm curious about the general construction. It looks like a post and beam design. At least the roof looks that way. Is that the only way to achieve that roof style? I worry this style of construction might cost a lot more in materials than traditional. I wish I could get a little peek at the plans so I know what to expect.

Any other suggestions on where to look for similar designs would be appreciated. In particular, I like the simple roof design, and the extended roof over the big front porch. I also tend to like longer roof overhangs. About 700-800sf would be about perfect.

Thanks!

David

Don_P

Look under it, 4 rows of girders aligned under the exterior walls and the roof purlins. Inside on the floor plan, notice the wall lines and the lone purlin support post. I suspect common rafters are gussetted at the peak and rest over the purlins and eave walls.

What you are asking for would look good in heavy timber. Another way would be several clearspan heavy trusses carrying purlins and then panelling above that. It could also be done with scissor trusses with a reduced interior pitch.

db4570

Thanks for the reply, Don.

For such a simple looking design, it is more complicated than I thought. (I had to look up "purlins", and really try to get my head around what you were describing.)

I think I am looking for a real easy DIY type of construction using common stick-built pieces. I don't have a problem with timbers and things, and think it could look really cool, but don't want to get into expensive or hard to find materials or unfamiliar construction techniques. I could be convinced to reconsider if the cost and difficulty wasn't increased, though.

I really like the open gable over the front porch. It looks like that style is what makes the unfamiliar framing technique necessary.

I will browse around and look at other plans before I get too attached to this one.

David

UK4X4

You can also do a standard stick build, and just add in the feature beams and posts on the inside.

Scissor trusses mentioned above really open up a room, an you can still add in few feature trusses underneath them.

Stick built

Added beams