Question; what would you do different?

Started by Carla_M, April 26, 2013, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carla_M

If you have completed and used your cabin for a while are there now things you would do differently? Make it larger or smaller? Use a different flooring, or wall treatment? Two floors or one floor? Too many windows, not enough windows, not a high enough quality window? Your foundation or roof choice? Anything at all. And if your project is listed here or somewhere can you point a link at it? Thanks so much!

I am getting closer to being able to actually look for land. A year or so ago I had a serious look at reality in my life and concluded belatedly that California was too damn expensive. I moved to a wonderful corner of UT. My salary is less but I have much more left over! I have savings!
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

Huge29

Welcome to Utah Carla!  In which part of the state are you looking and what size of a lot? 

JRR

My wife and I built, for our daughter, a 20x16 Gambrel metal roofed cabin in Tenn.  Counting the ground/earth floor; three floors and a spacious 20x14 covered porch.  We all enjoy visiting this humble abode for a few days on weekends.  BUT:  For my money ... if we had it to do over...

A bit longer building, say 24 or 26 feet would be much nicer. 

For such a small building, too much floorspace has been lost to the staircase that connects all floors ... I would seriously consider making the staircase an appendage on the outside of the main structure.  How inclosed, lighted, and insulated the staircase should be would depend on local weather.  An "outside/attached" staircase on such a small structure, I think, would greatly improved liveability and not affect overall cost that much.

Carla_M

Quote from: Huge29 on April 27, 2013, 02:29:51 AM
Welcome to Utah Carla!  In which part of the state are you looking and what size of a lot?

SW. Size depends on how easy it is for neighbors to encroach. But a couple - three acres would do.    Right now I'm sitting on a ridge top, wearing my headlight, and I think I'm connecting through one of the cell towers near Kanab. Hiking and rock climbing was todays thrill! This evening it's Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon after a pot of beef stew and finding a cell connection. ;D
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

Dave Sparks

The problem I have seen in a lot of new construction offgrid is the "fog" of building. There is a point where one starts rushing to get it done. Careful planning, good plans, and being there will avoid problems. Good luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"

GSPDOG

Plan, Plan, Plan well we had 6 P's for planning in the service but I wont go into those here. ;)  Drives my Dad crazy but I over plan and design and over build.  Any mistake you make and catch on the plan will save you money in the long run.  Gives you the opportunity to change things and make modifications ahead of time.  Give yourself plenty of time for constructive feedback what you rush now you will pay for later. ;)

Welcome happy to meet you how about passing some of that wine around. ;)
Thanks for Reading
Jim Brown

Carla_M

Careful and detailed planning. For sure. After reading many posted topics it is apparent that lack of foresight has been a problem for some. It is easier in the long run if plans are complete before action. Same as in many endeavors.

OlJarhead

Did the 14x24 and would change that to 16x26.  Those extra two feet wouldn't make much difference in the build but would make a lot of interior room difference.

Also would move the stove to the corner despite the tall chimney required when doing so.

Move bathroom outside -- ok that sounds funny!  But I've given this much thought and now believe I would put a 6x8 addition on the cabin for the bath instead of having it inside.

Better foundation -- rushed to get the building up and don't regret that but with nearly 4 years of working on it behind me I do wish I'd taking more time up front and done a SBC foundation instead of the post and pier I used.

2x8 or greater floor -- our 2x6 floor works fine but I would do 2x8 or greater now if I did it again -- same for the roof rafters.

Walls on 24" centers I think -- I did 2x6 on 16" centers and don't think that's needed really.

Bigger porch (mine is 6x8) so there is more 'mud-room' capacity.

Move composting toilet drum to the South side of the cabin for more winter heat.  Plan it's location better (I thought it would go under the tall side of the cabin but the 20 foot run was too much so I re-located to the back and think that was a poor choice.  Should have planned that a little better.

Gone with 1k AH battery bank and 820watts of solar instead of 660ah (upgraded to 880ah) battery bank and 615watts of solar -- it is pretty good mind you but if I had the cash I would have done a little more for certain.

Concentrated on exterior more -- I spent too much time thinking about the interior but wish I'd completed ALL of the exterior first.

Put in a better shed and wood shed FIRST! lol -- the shed was already there and it is horrible and we had to throw together a wood shed. 

All in all, however, I'm very happy with where we are :)

Carla_M

Quote from: GSPDOG on April 28, 2013, 08:46:00 PM
--- how about passing some of that wine around. ;)

Ya'll just have to come to the boonies.   :D

Don't rush it and plan well.  Just like much of what one encounters in life. Thanks a bunch.