DWV *after*rough in?

Started by PorkChopsMmm, February 26, 2012, 10:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkChopsMmm

So... we built our cabin with a composting toilet and grey water drainage. My wife, I mean we  ???, changed our minds and are installing septic. The bathroom is done, final wall coverings are up, etc. Do you guys know of any resources for how to handle DWV after rough in? Below is a diagram of my place. The bathroom has the toilet, tub, and sink close but the kitchen sink is far away. Ideally I would not want to rip into the walls to run the vent pipe -- is this something I can do externally on the wall?

My options are to just plumb the toilet to the septic or to do the septic and all other fixtures. I think the plumbing it all to septic is the best option since I will be in there mucking around with it all.

Thoughts? Advice?

Don_P

Exterior vent up the outside wall behind the john and through the overhang , studor type auto vent under the kitchen sink?

JRR

I've yet to use one, but have noticed the under-sink vent valve kits in Home Depot.  I would not hesitate to give them a try on sinks.  They may work for johns ... I don't know about that however.

Danfish

I have used Air Admittance Valves on a number of projects where outside venting was not a realistic alternative and never had an issue.  Some code jurisdiction will not approve and they cannot be buried in walls.  Frequently used on kitchen islands.  Some jurisdictions will only allow after a certain amount of the venting requirement is reached with standard outside venting.

PorkChopsMmm

Guys! This is just what I needed to see. Thank you! The under-sink vent will work perfect for my kitchen and I will figure out how to do traditional DWV for the bathroom. I will start my research for tying in the tub, sinks, and toilet into one run. My place is on piers about 1.5 to 2 feet above the ground. That should give me some room to work.

Are there any books or websites you guys can recommend for learning more about this? This is all brand new to me since I built everything for grey water.

Thanks again!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.