Lurker Exposing Herslf Right Now!!

Started by Carla_M, February 04, 2012, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carla_M

Who was thinking naughty thoughts?   ;D

I've been a lurking member for a year or so. I used to think I owned a condo here in CA, but when the housing market turned to doo-doo I was so upside it was crazy. My salary was cut, then the company closed altogether. More doo-doo. I tried making a go with as many part time jobs as I could handle but that was just as crazy. The bank ended up with the condo. It is still empty a couple years later. :(

After a couple of years of scrambling with an incessant stream of multiple part time and temporary jobs I decided the best way out was to leave CA. Soon after I made that decision the temporary job I had turned into a full time part time job. A 'permanent' 30 hour a week job was better than not knowing where I would be working next week or next month. One side of me said move away, leave CA, go back to NM or someplace while the other said stay. My daughters have invited me to MN, but I don't do their kind of winters very well. I found better living arrangements here sharing a large McMansion of a house with two other family units. Moneywise it works out great, personalwise (not a word, but it will do) It is odd sharing space with so many people. But we help each other too. :)

I would dearly love to have a small home of my own but have never considered myself handy in the building trades. I was introduced to this forum in an accidental encounter. I was nosy, peering over the shoulder at the laptop screen of another in an airport while we were stuck between flights and I was bored silly, or was it bored stupid? ???  Anyhow rather than telling me to mind my own business they eagerly shared what they were so intent on. They were a member here. I saw some nice cabins. :D  I found the cabin of somebody I once knew; I guess I still know them but it's ancient history   :-X. The more I looked around here the more I thought "maybe I can do this too?"

I've been a city girl most of my adult life but was born in the country. In some ways it would be nice to return or at least get out of the megalopolis where I am.

Now the job has turned into a full time situation and that made me chose to remain where I was, where I am today. I'm able to save money once again.  There are no small readily available homes. Lots of big homes, nothing small. I don't need big and I'd rather not have room mates. I have a feeling for how much space I want and realize I can make things work with even less. Now that I am happily working again and liking what I do I don't want to give that job up to move far, but I am also disgruntled with CA in many ways. Maybe I have to tough this out for a while and save some more money?  ???  I have to figure that out. I have managed to hang onto some savings and am also torn between using that now for land and a home or saving it till later. It was or is retirement money. But maybe it is worth more to me right now rather than later? I can't decide.

So my plans are very nebulous, nothing I can point a finger at. [noidea'  I have trouble visualizing myself driving nails and cutting wood.  Perhaps I'll be an owner-contractor builder. ??? 

I hope I didn't bore anyone or step too far out of the general forum subject range or off into the realm of "risqué".Sorry for talking your ears off, I do tend to run off at the mouth at times.

I used to be a bookkeeper. Still am in my head; I retain the skills. If I am honest with myself I will admit I was tiring of it before my job evaporated. What do I do for money these days? I sell, install, maintain and repair fitness equipment; I fell into this by accident. I've been an exercise nut for many years (I am in great shape  :D  ) and my heart tells me this is where I belong, at least for now. So it does seem I have some mechanical skills; maybe that can translate into carpentry skills? Wish me luck.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

firefox

Carla, If you can turn wrenches and use your acounting skills to learn measurement,
then you shouldn't have any trouble building your own house. Since you are keeping
fit, you can probably run circles around us old folks. Just read, read and more reading.
Especially when folks here point to specific info pertanent to building.

I would wait until you can move out of California though. 

good luck!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Gary O

Welcome, Carla
To the agony and the ecstasy

You have found the site that will get you started, and follow you to completion....and just in time, as you haven't started yet.
These guys know all the tricks. They've been there done that forwards and backwards.
So, it's thinkin' time, as to what you want out of your edifice.
Some live in town, and have places out, to escape.
Not a bad combo really.
A little yin/yang to life.
The other consideration, and it sounds like you're heading that direction, is do you want to build it yourself......there's not enough space in the forum for me to get started on that subject, but I just want to plant a seed of contemplation while you are in thought mode.
Building your place with your own hands, whatever it is, will give you a sense of accomplishment like none other.....and...these guys will walk you thru every step of the way.

There will be extreme highs and extreme lows.

Savor this experience.....it's one of the best.

You'll reveal yourself alright...but only you will be the witness...to regions of your innermost self you never knew existed

Oh, and don't apologize for all the verbiage...I got a couple naps in while reading
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Dave Sparks

Not all of California would not be missed if you left it! There are some great places! One of the best ways to do what you want is to build offgrid at least 30 minutes out of a decent size small town and your set. Start with a small camper and build a home! There are many ways! Good Luck! This is one of the best forums there is! Wish I had more time for it! w*
"we go where the power lines don't"

henderson

Never say CAN'T. In a matter of time you can learn to do anything you want. The word can't is a dirty word in my house and i don't let my kids use it. You will do just fine . w*

glenn kangiser

Crimoney Carla.... don't know how I missed this one...... you certainly know how to get attention... and you think I like it... [waiting]

I had something intelligent to say and danged if I can remember where I left it.

We will do all we can for you ... even loan you a blanket if you get a chill.... [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Carla_M

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 08, 2012, 04:46:29 PM
...... you certainly know how to get attention...

I thought it was a catchy tile. Apparently not catchy enough, though.   ;)   Let's chalk this slip up to you being a very busy guy, what with all the changes at your underground complex. Yeah, I guess I do like attention too. ;D 

Thanks to all for the words of support and encouragement.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

glenn kangiser

Looking forward to watching whatever kind of project you may or may not come up with.  I think the other ladies here on the forum need your encouragement and support anyway. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.