Old Family Gun Cabinet

Started by rick91351, August 11, 2011, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

I have a gun cabinet that was my father's and built by one of those good old friends that I guess everyone had from way back.  We all worked together in the same planer mill and they let us pull special boards that we wanted to make into projects.  These we paid for at whatever rate they were selling for.  We were lucky it was a small enough mill we could do stuff like that.   

It is a beautiful piece of furniture but I really do not have any use for a gun cabinet.  I would like to keep it and use it in the cabin or house or whatever we end up building.  Any ideas what to turn it into.  I thought about shelves inside the hutch where the guns went.  Making it a collectors cabinet for odds and ends and what nots or glass fronted bookshelves.   The lower unit has two top drawers, three center drawers and two sort of tall doors one each side of the center drawers.

So thought I woud toss this out there and see if anyone has seen them made into a really functional unit.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Hey Rick

Sounds very nice.
How 'bout a photo?
With the right skills, you s/be able to convert it into a buffet for fine china, family cookery heirlooms and such.
Or a fancy barrister's book case for the den.
Or, integrate it into the kitchen cabinets.
All a great functional conversation piece.

I'd fill it with guns.....
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Redoverfarm

Any pictures?  You can do almost anything that your imagination ask.  They recycle all the time.  Just today I saw where someone posted a picture of bathroom sink made from a wooden barrel.  They make bathroom sinks into old dressers all the time.  I don't see why you can't do what you want.  I'll trade you a curio cabinet. ;D ;D