The tin foil hat

Started by peternap, May 12, 2011, 11:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwanders

Glenn, Windpower,Scott, et al;

Throughout human history there are certainly many examples, both humans and nations, that have aspired to be the "Grand Chessmaster" of the world or at least their tribe or nation. some have even managed to build a temporary illusion based upon their ambitions. The Romans were certainly more successful than most but, for most of their long history, they were the chestmasters of the world only in the fantasies of their senate and emperors. True chestmasters would not have to bribe their neighbors to avoid invasion and eventual collapse. True chestmasters would have at least got what they paid for---the barbarians at their gates just took the bribes and kept battering. Unfortunately, our own chestmasters seem to be operating under the same illusions. Every new would be chestmaster thinks he/she has control of the board right up to the time their king is knocked over. Our king will someday also be on his back and a new chestmaster will set up a new board. The russians, very good chess players, tried it, the japanese were touted as the future grandmasters up until their collapse in the 90's----now the chinese aspire to that role. Right now, and for an uncertain future, we still get to live in our illusion.

Wealthy financiers and powerful politicians often appear to be the chestmasters but, they are routinely checkmated by economic events and mundane scandals. The politicians, in particular, can't even seem to control their own zippers or resist the lure of petty corruptions. One generation may amass a great fortune and wield a lot of influence----the 2nd or 3rd generation promptly squanders their inherited power.

Aspiring chessmasters will always be with us-----fortunately, there are always so many of them they routinely cut each others throats. The board (that's all us riffraff) is the one unchanging part of the game----all the pieces get moved around and end up sitting beside the board and new chessplayers try to become the chessmaster.

We are all, during our lifetimes, playing as pawns, perhaps even backrow big pieces, or even chessmasters of a board, small or large as it may be. In the end, we are all checkmated and the whole illusion evaporates. I have set up several of these illusionary boards in my life-----one that comes to mind---In 1967 I was a brand new 2nd Lt in the Army, chessmaster of my world, able to move those pawns about my board I thought. After all, the pawns had to salute me, I wielded god-like power over my pawns!  I was quickly relieved of that illusion. Anyone who has played on that board knows how little authority a 2nd Lt really has----responsibility, plenty, but authority, very little. Woe unto the 2nd Looey who does not realize how much he must depend on his "pawns" and NCOs to survive that game. I could describe many similar situations over my 68 years sitting at the board---sometimes I was the chessmaster (I thought) and sometimes the pawn, but in the end it was always just a temporary illusion----always had either far less or far more power over the board than I thought.

Life is an adventure, filled with triumphs and defeats-----no one owns the board. We just get to play.      
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

rwanders

:) [cool]

This has been a fun thread!  Who knew we could all be such philosophers? 

Seriously-----a very interesting discussion and I think we have many more points of agreement then any of us think. 
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

peternap

Quote from: rwanders on May 19, 2011, 11:05:23 AM
:) [cool]

Seriously-----a very interesting discussion and I think we have many more points of agreement then any of us think. 

I think you're right!
We all just say it a little differently and at different volume levels. ;)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rwanders on May 19, 2011, 10:55:20 AM
Glenn, Windpower,Scott, et al;

Throughout human history there are certainly many examples, both humans and nations, that have aspired to be the "Grand Chessmaster" of the world or at least their tribe or nation. some have even managed to build a temporary illusion based upon their ambitions. The Romans were certainly more successful than most but, for most of their long history, they were the chestmasters of the world only in the fantasies of their senate and emperors. True chestmasters would not have to bribe their neighbors to avoid invasion and eventual collapse. True chestmasters would have at least got what they paid for---the barbarians at their gates just took the bribes and kept battering. Unfortunately, our own chestmasters seem to be operating under the same illusions. Every new would be chestmaster thinks he/she has control of the board right up to the time their king is knocked over. Our king will someday also be on his back and a new chestmaster will set up a new board. The russians, very good chess players, tried it, the japanese were touted as the future grandmasters up until their collapse in the 90's----now the chinese aspire to that role. Right now, and for an uncertain future, we still get to live in our illusion.

Wealthy financiers and powerful politicians often appear to be the chestmasters but, they are routinely checkmated by economic events and mundane scandals. The politicians, in particular, can't even seem to control their own zippers or resist the lure of petty corruptions. One generation may amass a great fortune and wield a lot of influence----the 2nd or 3rd generation promptly squanders their inherited power.

Aspiring chessmasters will always be with us-----fortunately, there are always so many of them they routinely cut each others throats. The board (that's all us riffraff) is the one unchanging part of the game----all the pieces get moved around and end up sitting beside the board and new chessplayers try to become the chessmaster.

We are all, during our lifetimes, playing as pawns, perhaps even backrow big pieces, or even chessmasters of a board, small or large as it may be. In the end, we are all checkmated and the whole illusion evaporates. I have set up several of these illusionary boards in my life-----one that comes to mind---In 1967 I was a brand new 2nd Lt in the Army, chessmaster of my world, able to move those pawns about my board I thought. After all, the pawns had to salute me, I wielded god-like power over my pawns!  I was quickly relieved of that illusion. Anyone who has played on that board knows how little authority a 2nd Lt really has----responsibility, plenty, but authority, very little. Woe unto the 2nd Looey who does not realize how much he must depend on his "pawns" and NCOs to survive that game. I could describe many similar situations over my 68 years sitting at the board---sometimes I was the chessmaster (I thought) and sometimes the pawn, but in the end it was always just a temporary illusion----always had either far less or far more power over the board than I thought.

Life is an adventure, filled with triumphs and defeats-----no one owns the board. We just get to play.     

I think I can pretty well agree with that RW. 

I like what Serj Tankian has to say about it.... "Stupid people do stupid things, Smart people outsmart each other, Then themselves, then themselves,"  in one of his songs....   Seems to be a point there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.