New member introduction

Started by tortminder, September 04, 2010, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tortminder

Hello all;
I did a search and see there is no current place to introduce yourself as a "newbie" so I thought I would start such a thread.

I am currently living in a suburb of Chicago but have just purchased 7 acres (more or less) in southern Tennessee with the intention of building there and retiring. The land is almost as if I had put in a custom order and had it delivered. It is 1/3 cleared and 2/3 wooded with a gentle slope to the land. There is a pond and a spring-fed creek on the property and the previous owner has installed a line to the county water, (which I will use until I can rework the spring to provide water), a power drop from the local TVA, (which I will also use until I can install solar) a good gravel based driveway and a 30'X40' concrete pad which already has utility races provided. The only major expense that will be immediate is a septic system.

I am now researching the type of shelter I want for the place and that has led me here.

I am into self-sufficiency so will contribute what I can but I am here mostly to learn... and I have much to learn. ???

I look forward to participating.

rick91351

First off Welcome  w*

Wow it sounds as if you have found your own piece of heaven here on earth!

How long of a drive are you looking at to visit your property? 

If we can be of help just ask!  There are lots of people here that will help, plus there are a lot of people here that will learn a thing or two from you as well. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

Welcome to the forum!
Be sure to check the other forums. There is a wealth of information and talent. Check out John's plans also. He's a masterful architect and very helpful.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

tortminder

Thanks to both of you for the kind welcome ;D

My new "homestead" is about 10 hours by interstate from where I currently live, (18 hours via back roads). d*

There is both turkey and white tail deer on the property, (at least that's what the scat sign tells me), and I have found that in Tennessee you are not required to have a license if hunting on your own land. [cool]

I will take some time over the long weekend to "nose" around the site and learn.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

glenn kangiser

w* tortminder.  Your place sounds great.  Sounds like you are one of our type - we all enjoy sharing knowledge and learning.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

As others have said  w* tortminder.  Sounds as if you have hit "pay dirt".

OlJarhead

w*

I still consider myself a newbie :)  Glad you joined us.  Sounds like your land is excellent!  And if ONLY WA State left land owners alone like that -- but I always say "The King asks a high price to hunt his deer in WA State".

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

Possibly but you still love me anyway, in spite of my faults.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

welcome

I live near Chicago too

we are planning to go a bit further north (west of Madison WI) for our 'retirement home'

Sounds like a great piece of land
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

tortminder

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Spent the long weekend re-researching various building/shelter options including cobb building; rammed earth; earthship as well as stick built and modified shipping containers. ??? I have managed to totally confuse and frustrate myself, but will keep on keepin' on. d*

Most likely I will move something temporary onto the place for shelter and take my time in building the permanent place.

The first project will be next spring when I begin putting in a small fruit tree and nut orchard and some raspberry canes and grapevines, (thinking along the lines of planting some other "no maintenance" crops like amaranth; bamboo; sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes). [hungry]

I also need to assess the wooded part of the parcel and see if there is anything there that a lumber operation might be interested in, (possibly trade the trees for processed lumber) [chainsaw]

Anyway... lots to think about. Daddy always used to say measure twice, cut once in this case I want to have a clear idea of what I am trying to accomplish before I rush out and just begin doing stuff. ;D