Houston I think I have a problem

Started by Redoverfarm, April 18, 2010, 02:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I have been waiting for the well drillers report. I had thought that he had sent it to me shortly after he drilled the well at the cabin some 1-1/2 years ago. But looking through my paperwork I was unable to find it. So I took it upon myself to look for the static level. Yep I found it but it was no were near the original height. I was sure that it had settled in the neighborhood of 40 feet from the top. I couldn't believe that it was now at 156' from the top   [shocked]  . I have been told that the static level will rise somewhat after the well is pump out some that it creates a flow into the well. There is one thing troubling in that a neighbor had drilled a well shortly after mine and it is on the same ridge line about 1/4-1/2miles as the crow flies. I find it hard to believe that a well which was suppose to be producing 10 GPM that the static level would drop that much.

So in essence I now have a 220 ft well with a static line of 156' which was reported to be producing 10 GPM. The additional lift to the cabin is about 8' more feet in elevation.  I was trying to stay away from 220/240 volt pumps ($$$) if at all possible which I understand would mean two inverters (?) or basically run the well pump off of the generator only. But it is doubtful given the amount of lift required that either of the two 110/120 volt pumps will suffice even to a storage tank.

ScottA

Damn that sucks. What about a windmill pump?

Ok the windmills probly not going to save you any money.  d* Dumb idea on my part.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The new well could affect your well if on the same fracture or if he got the water that was feeding your higher static level.... or the well driller could have been wrong, not likely but possibly lied, or seasonal water flow could greatly change the static level or drillers mud could have had a lower fracture sealed during the original test then washed out and allowed the water to flow to a lower static level.  Tons of possibilities.  Rotary well drilling quantities are usually only very rough estimations of what they think they are getting.

The pump problem is not so bad.  A Grundfos SQ Flex can be had to pump directly from solar panels, battery storage power or 120v all in the same animal.  It may require a different controller depending on how you do it.  You can get them online for some pretty good prices now.  The depth will not be a problem for them.

You will only pump at a 3 to 6 gallon or so rate - not full well capacity.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 18, 2010, 06:01:29 PM
The new well could affect your well if on the same fracture or if he got the water that was feeding your higher static level.... or the well driller could have been wrong, not likely but possibly lied, or seasonal water flow could greatly change the static level or drillers mud could have had a lower fracture sealed during the original test then washed out and allowed the water to flow to a lower static level.  Tons of possibilities.  Rotary well drilling quantities are usually only very rough estimations of what they think they are getting.

One or all the above w/ exception of lying.  He is pretty reputable individual so I doubt that is it.  I have known him for years.  He is the only driller in the county.When I drilled ( have to look that up) but it was in a dry season time so I figured that it would be consistant then

The pump problem is not so bad.  A Grundfos SQ Flex can be had to pump directly from solar panels, battery storage power or 120v all in the same animal.  It may require a different controller depending on how you do it.  You can get them online for some pretty good prices now.  The depth will not be a problem for them.

I realize that I can get a pump for about any depth but I was leaning toward a pump to use less power.  Right now I will not have any solar so it will be dependent on battery storage.  Worse comes to worse I could always configure the pump power from the generator I guess.

You will only pump at a 3 to 6 gallon or so rate - not full well capacity.

glenn kangiser

The SQ Flex will handle any situation you will get into with the exception of wanting it to be cheap.

I agree that most of the drillers out there are pretty trustworthy with just the occasional bad apple.  There are so many variables in drilling that it is hard to say what the real cause of the lower depth is and we may never get enough data for an exact answer.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 18, 2010, 07:06:25 PM
The SQ Flex will handle any situation you will get into with the exception of wanting it to be cheap.

I agree that most of the drillers out there are pretty trustworthy with just the occasional bad apple.  There are so many variables in drilling that it is hard to say what the real cause of the lower depth is and we may never get enough data for an exact answer.

I was just trying to stay away from that $1,500 price tag. So I guess I do squeak a little when I walk

glenn kangiser

WD40.... some say it works on people...

muldoon

sorry to hear about your well troubles.  For what it's worth, (not much I'll grant), I'll just add that I deeply regret not going with the grundfos pump on my well.  I flinched from the sticker shock on it but the fact is that was what I really wanted and should have gotten it in the first place.  When I go to do the next well for the grape vineyard I will be using one. 

Redoverfarm

A little update.  My original well description was a little off.  d* I had two wells drilled within 2 years.  One at the house and the other at the cabin with the cabin being the later.  My house well was drilled to 400 ft with a static level of 40' which produced 50-60 gpm.  After talking with my well driller a few minutes ago he told me that the static level he recorded in August 2007 was at 162' out of a total 220' drill depth of which water was hit at 192'.  The static level is a little lower than 1-1/2 yrs ago according to my measurements but almost the same.  He further stated that he had pumped the well down at the 220' level and it had recovered to the static level within 1 to 1-1/2hrs.  He was pretty confident that the production of the well was approximately 10gpm.  So this gives me a constant to base my pump selection on.

Muldoon I really wouldn't say it is trouble but I had wanted a little more water.  Wishful thinking more in line as at the house.  Yes about Grundfos and I will probably still get one of their products maybe not the one I originally wanted.  I really can't complain as there are dry wells or very little producing wells all around the county who don't even get this much water.  In fact there is a cabin about 1/4 mile from mine that drilled 768 feet for only about 2 gpm.  So I guess I can count my blessings,

Thanks for all your concerns and replies.  I will let you know how it turns out with the water and system.  

glenn kangiser

All of the time we have been here, our well has only produced 1 gpm.  Done right it is enough for the garden w/drip and everything.

Jeff922

Don't feel bad, my well was drilled 420' deep and still didn't draw water.  Had to hydro-frac and I still only get 3gpm - $$$$$$$$$.  This really ate into budget. 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

davidj

You can run a 240V pump off 120V with a transformer.  Outback has an auto transformer that does the job - the X240.  The higher power version (4KVA) in a box with a fan comes in at about $520.  It pulls a bit of power when not being used (20W or something??), but you can wire it behind the pressure switch so you only take the hit when it's running.

I'm probably gonna have to use one as I've got a 240V well pump (330' head) and got given a 4KVA 120V inverter.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: davidj on April 19, 2010, 05:46:48 PM
You can run a 240V pump off 120V with a transformer.  Outback has an auto transformer that does the job - the X240.  The higher power version (4KVA) in a box with a fan comes in at about $520.  It pulls a bit of power when not being used (20W or something??), but you can wire it behind the pressure switch so you only take the hit when it's running.

I'm probably gonna have to use one as I've got a 240V well pump (330' head) and got given a 4KVA 120V inverter.

Yes I found that out today.  Dang even going semi-off grid is costly.  In fact I was sent a diagram of wiring it also.  If you are interested I can e-mail you it if you would PM me and furnish an address.

glenn kangiser

I used the transformer first then went to the 240 v inverters (two Trace 4024 with special phase sync cable- you have to do this right for it to work).

The transformer worked but used near all of the capacity of the system when pumping from deep.  I have a 1.5 hp pump set at 320 feet.  I have to use protection on it as it will pump the well dry then have to wait - - I have it hooked to a timer and Coyote safety sensor.

davidj

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 19, 2010, 07:49:17 PM
I used the transformer first then went to the 240 v inverters (two Trace 4024 with special phase sync cable- you have to do this right for it to work).

The transformer worked but used near all of the capacity of the system when pumping from deep.  I have a 1.5 hp pump set at 320 feet.  I have to use protection on it as it will pump the well dry then have to wait - - I have it hooked to a timer and Coyote safety sensor.

My inverter's an SW4048.  According to my 240V gennie, the pump pulls 2200VA when running (from memory, I think it's a 1.5hp 5gpm pump).  I guess it'll pull a bit more then this when the losses from the transformer get added.

Maybe it is getting a bit close to the mark?? The inverter's also got to run the fridge and the usual lights, fans, stereo and tools (for 600 sq ft).

glenn kangiser

Yes - very marginal when everything gets figured in I found.  The SW4024 would be the same output as the 4048 - you just have higher input voltage-your setup would respond about the same as mine.