Preferred DWV pipes

Started by twize, February 17, 2010, 03:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twize

Hi,
I was wondering which type of pipe members here prefer for DWV and why.  Today I picked up a whole box of PVC schedule 40 fittings(mostly 2-3") for $5 at the local Habitat Restore.  I priced PVC at Lowes.com and the PVC seems a couple bucks cheaper than ABS for standard lengths.  I couldn't pass up on the box of connections because I know how expensive they can be.  They had another box of thinwall PVC fittings but I was leary about using those.  I'm interested to hear your opinions on these two types of pipes.

PA-Builder

PVC schedule 40 is the standard here in PA.  Relatively inexpensive, dependable, and easy to work with.

MountainDon

ABS vs PVC. This is going to vary across the country. Even though both are approved under IRC some areas limit your (legal) choice to one or the other. If both are allowed in your area then I'd go with whatever is more readily available. I think PVC is slightly more bother because it requires 2 steps when cementing; primer and then the cement itself. Some areas also insist on the purple primer and do not allow clear primer, as a way of ensuring primer was used on the PVC.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

FWIW, I used ABS on my DVW setup.  Easy to use.  Basically inexpensive.  Mistake made...no problem, cut, replace, reglue. 

ScottA

Both are equaly fine. ABS is easier to use in cold weather and less likely to become brittle when cold.