Non-glass windows anyone ?

Started by jimbob44, September 07, 2005, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob44

Has anyone used lexan or polycarbonate in place of window glass for security purposes ?

glenn-k

Haven't used non-glass for security, but have used the crystal clear vinyl for odd shaped windows around my ceiling beam logs in the bedroom upper corner.  Many people don't know it isn't glass.

jb

Glenn...how long have they been in place ? Have you noticed any discoloration at all, or algae growth ? I was thinking about doing the same thing with the poly sheets we can buy here. I want to cut holes in the osb on the front gable end, between the studs to let in more light and this idea would fit the bill. And heres another idea I came up with...the back wall is bermed, so only the gable is exposed to the light. I am thinking of cutting some alternate shapes, or just round, in a few spots, and blocking in some pieces of stained glass (just glass, not the lead)...like a small circle here, a larger one over there, etc....the color would be cool to look at I think   8)

glenn-k

These have been in place about a year.  They are under a patio greenhouse roof so will never get moisture, however this material is commonly used for storm windows so would have no problem with moisture and probably not much with UV.  There is no discoloration.  

I frame the opening then take something like 1/4" x 3/4" laths and stretch the vinyl then shoot 1" narrow crown staples through the lath that is over the vinyl.  I put it inside the frame so the vinyl has a 90 degree bend to keep it tight.  Note - this is flexible clear vinyl like you would make a dress out of for your wife or girlfriend--  ;D  not rigid plastic.  With rigid plastic you would cut it to fit and frame around it - the dress idea would probably be out. :-/  

Note:  If you use the dress idea, sew it or have it sewed to fit--- DO NOT shoot it on with the 1" narrow crown staples.

Leo

there have been problems encountered on boats with non glass windows from mosquito spray.making them cloudy.

Amanda_931

I've got someone working on the barn with me again.  Starting to--ugh--tackle the door.  This may well be a blind leading the blind situation.

But that door (Z-braced) with a triangular window will have one of the plastics in the window.  Easier to shape for me than (has to be tempered glass in a door) glass.

It's pretty thick though, don't remember, am not going down to measure it right now.

Amanda_931

Hey, Glen, I once had a vinyl miniskirt, back in the days when I would have been caught dead in one.

Fortunately or otherwise it was the oilcloth type, shiny and with a pretty pattern of small flowers on blue.

Pain to sew, though, because all the little needle holes stayed open. mistakes on the in side couldn't be easily ignored, fabric too stiff for darts or fold-over waistbands.

glenn kangiser

You are way too cool, Amanda!!!  ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Leo

wow I remember those ;),Wanda Jackson played the black swamp festival here last night.The queen of rockkabilly is going strong at almost 70 she was rockin  about twenty years befor the vinyl mini skirt came into being.Im not real sure but I think I had a real good time back then