And this little Piggy

Started by Redoverfarm, August 30, 2009, 08:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

"And this little piggy went to market"  

Yesterday was the annual 4-H Livestock sale of the livestock projects held throughout the year.  All in all it went very good but no tropheys or places ( except 4th).  Stevens pig put on approximately 200 pounds in 4 months.  At the auction his pig's ending bid was $2.10 per pound for a total of $515.  Considering that a regular market hog would have only sold for $.35 per pound.  But I felt the decline in participation by the local merchants in purchasing the childrens livestock.  Bad economic times really effected the outcome.  On the other end of the spectrum the kids did suffer as they had to purchase the feed which was escalated by the feed stores to compensate for their economic woes.  A great Learning experience.

April 20th

Yesterday

Here is a picture of the kids discussing the world events. NOT just guys trying to impress the ladies.  ;D

peternap

Nice pictures John. I didn't know Steven was raising another pig. It looks like he learned a big lesson about farming in a bad economy. Sometimes it makes better sense to eat the pig and visit the supermarket less often.

I noticed that there seem to be a lot of girls hanging around ;)

Ah, youth!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Yes Peter he still has one left for the FFA/4H Ham and bacon sale this spring.  We will take it to slaughter about October then the sale is in January after the hams and bacon have cured.  Too much invested to eat this one.  If I really needed one I would buy off the market at $.35 # and use it for butcher.

Yes the Girls. Each one of them had something to show. Pigs, cows, goats or sheep.  It is good to see the girls participate and leave the makeup off and get down to basics for a day.  ;D