Vacation in the NW.....any ideas?

Started by pioneergal, August 16, 2009, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

After 4 years of building with only a few breaks plus our daughters wedding on the 1st of August the DH and I have decided we need a vacation. So, we are fixing to hit the road!

If all goes as planned we are leaving on Sunday August 23rd for a road trip to the NW.

We are leaving Texas headed to Denver for an overnight stay with my brother and then onto SLC.
From SLC into Idaho and Pendleton, Oregon to do some sightseeing in Oregon working our way onto Seattle.
If time and money permit we want to go to Montana down to Yellowstone and work our way back to Texas.

Any ideas for some interesting places to visit?

We enjoy nature and beautiful scenery......DH loves the ocean and lighthouses.....I love the mountains........we despise interstates.....like to get off the beaten paths.......enjoy quaint small unique towns-ghost towns ......not into shopping unless its antiques or junktiques......like to visit fruitstands and orchards........LOVE to eat!

MountainDon

Well, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are well worth a visit.

It would also be a shame to miss the red rocks of Utah. Even if you just drive 191 south or north through Moab it's a great addition to any trip.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pioneergal

Don,

Thanks for the tips!

I have always wanted to visit YNP and the Tetons.......sure hope that we make it there on this trip!

Phssthpok

I'd highly recommend a detour off of I-84 to the Historic Columbia River Highway. It will add some time to your drive, but there's not much really between Pendleton and Portland to look at and most folks are ready for a diversion by the time they get to the HCRH. There's also quite a bit of fruit grown in the Hood River Valley which you will pass as you come into Portland on I-84. Should you choose to investigate the valley you may decide to take the scenic loop to the south side of MT.Hood and along US-26 into Portland rather than returning to I-84 and the HCRH.

Mt St. Helens is about an hours detour off of I-5 on your way to Seattle, but in late summer it's not much to look at....without all the snow it's just a big grey hill. It is interesting though to see the extent of the damage caused by the blast, and the amount of recovery that mother nature has already accomplished.

There's a few lighthouses on the Oregon coast from Astoria (a worthy destination in it's own right) down, but unless you really want to dedicate a fair amount of driving time, you'd probably be better of not going much further south than Tillamook. Lots of scenery beyond that, but fewer and smaller roads crossing the mountains back to the Willamette Valley. This will also be your best bet for antiquing if you're so inclined. Be advised though....there's usually a severe temperature differential between the valley and the coast...usually 10-15 degrees, but sometimes on the order of 20-30.

Crossing back to the valley from Tillamook you'll enter into Oregon wine and farm country. Here you'll find winery tours, roadside farm stands, and farmers markets galore.

rwanders

Go see Vancouver Island in British Columbia---you can take the car ferry from Seattle to Victoria BC. Victoria is a beautiful city and the island is large, wild and scenic----full of mountains, small and remote villages, rugged coastlines and beaches and beautiful old growth forests.  I promise. you will not be disappointed.

[cool]
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

southernsis

A few places worth seeing are: Craters of the Moon in Idaho, the high desert around Bend and Sisters Oregon (there are caves and lava tubes),  Crater Lake and perhaps the Oregon Caves. There is also the Wilderness of No Return.

Have fun as there is something interesting to look at around most every turn.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

StinkerBell

The thread makes me giggle a little.

When you get to Seattle go to the Pike Place Market, its fun. Also about 30 minutes east is the Snoqualmie Falls(I90),  beautiful and free! Many parks and trailes up in the Cascade. We also like Leavenworth, about 2 hours east of Seattle over Stevens Pass. There is also the San Juna islands. I think I forgot to mention the Space Needle itself, not free but only go on a clear day. I am thinking that might be "Bumper Shoot" weekend in Seattle. If so they have the boat races on Lake Washington and the Blue Angles there along with a huge fair. Washington also has a Fjord(s). Not on the scale of Norway or Alaska but it will make you go "oooohhhhh" Take the Wa 3 to the 106 (towards Hoodsport) to us 101 N you will see it.

Also in Pendleton Oregon the merchants have a fun thing for you to do. Do you remeber Charm Bracelets? If you go to a series of business's you get a charm. Saw the  idea at the Shari's restraunt and thought what a clever and fun idea to get tourist to go around and check things out. I think La Grande OR is beautiful.

I do suggest when coming out of Pendleton taking the I84 to Portland, that area from about "The Dalles to Portland is spectacular and a pretty drive. You willl go from hot desert weather to Forest weather in a 25 miles span.

pioneergal

rwanders,

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

We have thought about BC. but wondered about what if any are the requirements to cross the border?

I've heard that it was beautiful!

Thanks,

Jackie

MountainDon

Crossing the US-Canada border in an automobile is a snap. Having a passport will make the crossing easier.

http://www.visitcanada.com/PassportsAndCustoms.html

Don't have any firearms, or if you do be sure they are legally acceptable to Canada and have all the correct paperwork prepared beforehand. You can download the documents. Handguns and pepper spray are restricted.

And RW is right. We had some great times camping and hiking on Vancouver Island.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

waggin

I live near Seattle & have done a lot of exploring here in the PNW.  How active/athletic are you?  If you like hiking, I can e-talk your ear off with incredible destinations. 

StinkerBell mentioned Snoqualmie Falls, which is about 3 miles from my property.  It's about 270' tall, pretty spectacular!  If you're willing to hike a few miles, head east toward Snoqualmie Pass & check out Melakwa Lake.  There is an incredible waterfall on the way up, and the views at the lake are amazing.  A little less rigorous is the Snow Lake trail at the top of Snoquamie Pass.  To park at the Melakwa or Snow Lake trailheads, you'll need a Northwest Forest Pass, which costs $30 for a year or $5 for one day.

http://www.discovernw.org/store_annual-northwest-forest-pass-national-forests-in-washington-and-oregon-only_09942.html?_kk=northwest%20forest%20pass&_kt=d0cb511a-13a9-4787-9701-7eab3468b4dd&gclid=CJrjnYSTq5wCFSMSagod6DF6jg

It can be picked up at most ranger stations, REI, and other locations, and is good for lots of places in Washington & Oregon.

There are also many great places to see at Mt Rainier, The Hoh Rainforest out on the coast, Deception Pass State Park on Whidbey Island, and Mt Baker.  These all have drive-up access to some incredible views.  I also highly 2nd the previous recommendation to detour to Mt St Helens if you're driving up I5 from Portland toward Seattle.  There are some excellent interpretive centers on the highway heading up toward the mountain.  Stop at all of them if you can; the exhibits are fascinating.  If you head up to British Columbia, there's the city of Vancouver plus the Sea to Sky corridor from there to Whistler is a very scenic drive.  Lots of great hiking between Samish & Whistler too.  Vancouver Island is pretty too, especially the west coast between Ucluelet & Tofino.

Feel free to let me know any other interests, and I can try to help.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

kyounge1956

Quote from: StinkerBell on August 17, 2009, 07:38:56 AM
The thread makes me giggle a little.

When you get to Seattle go to the Pike Place Market, its fun. Also about 30 minutes east is the Snoqualmie Falls(I90),  beautiful and free! Many parks and trailes up in the Cascade. We also like Leavenworth, about 2 hours east of Seattle over Stevens Pass. There is also the San Juna islands. I think I forgot to mention the Space Needle itself, not free but only go on a clear day. I am thinking that might be "Bumper Shoot" weekend in Seattle. If so they have the boat races on Lake Washington and the Blue Angles there along with a huge fair. (snip)
Stinkerbell has got two things combined here. Bumbershoot (arts & music festival) is Labor Day weekend at the Seattle Center. (Visit  http://www.bumbershoot.org/ for the particulars.) The event with the boat races and Blue Angels (Naval Aviators Precision flying team) is Seafair, but that was last month.

StinkerBell

I've been a little distracted lately and merged the two events. These things happen with age.  :P

rwanders

Will we get to enjoy your travels too?  Hope you will share them with us via regular forum updates or at least a nice long after action report and pictures when you return------road trips----a great American tradition!  :)

pioneergal

Quote from: rwanders on August 18, 2009, 01:08:01 AM
Will we get to enjoy your travels too?  Hope you will share them with us via regular forum updates or at least a nice long after action report and pictures when you return------road trips----a great American tradition!  :)

Yes I would be delighted to share photos and highlights of the trip!

I am so excited because I have never been to the PNW. I've been blessed to travel most of the USA ,Canada, and Mexico in exception of Alaska, my next venture, and the upper NE. We did Hawaii several years ago.

Thanks to everyone that has posted information about the areas that we would like to visit. I am making notes in a journal of all your ideas.

God Bless,

Jackie

rwanders

:)  Be careful when you make your Alaska journey-----I drove from Virginia to Alaska in 1967 for what I thought would be a short stay-----42 years later, I'm still here!  Alaska is full of people who have come for a couple of weeks and never left-----that is one of the most common stories you will hear up here. It's difficult to explain why this happens----it's something in the atmosphere, something about the "last frontier" thing, I guess.

StinkerBell

I would move back to Alaska in a heartbeat if there was work for the hubs in is field.

pioneergal

Vacation dates were changed to September 12. Oh well, I have 3 more weeks to plan and etc....
Still excited tho!