FPSF Pier Foundation

Started by Micah, May 04, 2009, 12:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

I need some advice/opinions. Im building in southern New York. Frost depth is 48". I plan to build either the 10x14 or the 12x18 from Little House Plan. Is there anyway to us a Frost Protected Shallow Foundation with a pier foundation. It would be a great help if I only had to dig 24" holes, since ill be doing this by hand. I could only seem to find one good reference to using a pier foundation. Here is the diagram it shows.

Is this an exceptable method?

John Raabe

That type of insulated footing would likely work. The insulation traps loses to the colder air and soil above keeping the footing from freezing. Designs like this have been used for years in Scandinavian countries.

Have you seen this article at the CountryPlans site?

http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

You have even more options if you are in gravel and well drained soil that is not going to expand as it freezes. One LH owner has built the shallow Little House foundation in a very cold climate (WY?) and insulated the footings with straw, if I remember right. They have not had any movement in the piers.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Micah

Im not sure what the soil is like yet. I have only been there once and there was 2 foot of snow on the ground. When I get back up there how deep should I dig for a soil sample? Do you think a codes inspector would accept this type of foundation? I plan to go well armed with all the printed out information I can find for him to read on this.

John Raabe

You want to know the soils at the depth you expect to bear the footins.

Hard to say what your inspector may want. It could involve a soils engineer if you don't do standard footings.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Squirl

I would check what kinds of soil you have first.  If it isn't solid rock, you might consider renting an auger from home cheapo.  If I remember correctly, when I checked the price last week it was $80 for the day.  I also checked the price of 2" insulation and that was $25 a sheet.  If you are looking at a 4 foot diameter around each pier that is 2 sheets per pier. Off of the top of my head, I don't remember how many piers the 24' requires.  Lets say 8 for arguments sake.  Multiply that by the rest, 8 piers * 2 sheets * $25 = $400.  You would probably save around $100 in less concrete and rebar though.
6 one way, half dozen the other.

PA-Builder

Quote from: Micah on May 04, 2009, 12:29:54 PM
... It would be a great help if I only had to dig 24" holes, since ill be doing this by hand. ...

Micah,

As Squirl pointed out,  and after considering costs and inspection issues, this is one chore that you may want to contract out.  Find a farmer in the area with a tractor and PTO post hole digger, and he'll have holes drilled in no time.  Diggin' holes will be about the hardest (and least fun) part in the entire building process...

DirtyLittleSecret

Quote from: PA-Builder on May 04, 2009, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: Micah on May 04, 2009, 12:29:54 PM
... It would be a great help if I only had to dig 24" holes, since ill be doing this by hand. ...

Micah,

As Squirl pointed out,  and after considering costs and inspection issues, this is one chore that you may want to contract out.  Find a farmer in the area with a tractor and PTO post hole digger, and he'll have holes drilled in no time.  Diggin' holes will be about the hardest (and least fun) part in the entire building process...

After digging out my holes last weekend I couldnt agree more.  At least this weekend I'm setting up the tubes...among other things.  A real pain, but sometimes one's gotta pull up thier big girl panties and dig in.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Micah

I wish it where that easy for me to rent an auger. My problem with that is getting it to the location. I have no way to tow it. Since I live 3 hours away I cant even have a buddy help me out. The other reason I like this idea is I already have I think 9 sheets of the insulation. I might just hire some one to do it.