Global financial Meltdown --"Get your money out of the banks fast " A Salbuchi

Started by Windpower, April 05, 2009, 12:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

ScottA

I've been saying it for a while now. Get your money out of the banks and spend it on something real before it's too late.

Sassy

Glamour shot of our globalist leaders at the G20 Summit

(thanks to Agora Financial)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: ScottA on April 05, 2009, 01:59:31 PMI've been saying it for a while now. Get your money out of the banks and spend it on something real before it's too late.

So what happens after it is too late?  I have less than $250,000 in my bank account, so FDIC covers it, dollar for dollar.  If you think the FDIC isn't good for the money, we have a much bigger problem than a few grand in a bank account.

Look, I know it is fashionable to predict the End Times here, but we are no where near that extreme yet.  The Great Depression was an order of magnitude worse that what we are going through now, and the country didn't dissolve into total anarchy then either.  We gut it out for a couple of years, help your neighbor when you can, and don't abandon hope.  This is not the end of civilization as we know it, people.

rwanders

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on April 05, 2009, 10:44:39 PM

Quote from: ScottA on April 05, 2009, 01:59:31 PMI've been saying it for a while now. Get your money out of the banks and spend it on something real before it's too late.

So what happens after it is too late?  I have less than $250,000 in my bank account, so FDIC covers it, dollar for dollar.  If you think the FDIC isn't good for the money, we have a much bigger problem than a few grand in a bank account.

Look, I know it is fashionable to predict the End Times here, but we are no where near that extreme yet.  The Great Depression was an order of magnitude worse that what we are going through now, and the country didn't dissolve into total anarchy then either.  We gut it out for a couple of years, help your neighbor when you can, and don't abandon hope.  This is not the end of civilization as we know it, people.

Hear! Hear!  I'm 66 years old and I lost count of "the end is near" ranters long ago----remember the ridiculous 2000 Y2K frenzy--it was idiotic from the start but that didn't stop the kool aid drinkers---nothing ever will until the world does end and they trumpet "I told you so" with their last breath.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

muldoon

This whole thread has given me a smile, every post is right in it's own way.

windpower, isn't this kinda like closing the barn doors after the horses are out?  I mean really, were you not aware there was a problem until this weekend?  The problem has already crept up, manifested, exploded, and is now on every new station every day.  Hell every single commercial on television makes a reference to "this economy" and saving money.  Kinda late with the warning there bud. 

Pox - yes.  funds are now fdic insured to 250k, and as part of the bailout last October the FDIC has a hardlink to the treasury unlike before when they were simply a self regulated insurance company.  If your bank account cannot be repaid by the federal government then you really have to ask ..  is the very same federal government promise to pay worth much anyway?   

Contrary to your comment, it's not that fashionable to predict end times here, in fact I think most people prefer some honest discourse on where we are and where were headed.   I am not worried about end-times so much as what we are giving up to prolong the illusion of prosperity.   I have said since last fall that the "fall off a cliff" does not look like the path anymore,  that the long slide looks much more applicable in this light.  (although that "hard crash" was a very real possibility at one point last year and may be again - but not right now) I still believe that to be true, and I do think that spending dollars wisely now is the smartest move you can make. 

The focus should be on return of capital and not return on capital.

Investing in yourself, your family, your land or anything that can make you more productive or self sufficient is a good place to "invest" in.   good times or bad for that matter.   

Building assets is preferable to increasing liabilities. 

Trusting the banks, the hedge funds, the money markets is just stupid here.   end-times or not. 

--
But your right, there are no new things under the sun.  Even economic meltdown is not end-times.  We have had them before..  4 or 5 times in fact.  Other countries have had them, within the last decade 6 or 7 countries have gone through them.  Just in the last 6 months, Iceland has crashed, the Czech government has stepped down, other eastern europe countries are on the verge.  Go back a decade it happened in Russia - who recovered quite well.  It happened in Venuzuela also.  An economic meltdown is not end times.  It is simply the decimation of the countries middle class really.  The middle go to poor and the country reverts back to a 99% poor, 1% rich state.  It's not mad max.    Your right, people adapt, especially poor people.  even more so poor people with children.   

ScottA

I'm not saying it's the end. What I'm expecting is for the currency to be devalued. I doubt it's possible for the government to print the kind of money they are printing and not cause high inflation sooner or later. We won't even go into how many people have already lost a big part of their life savings due to the markets. But the sun is up and it's going to be a nice day.

Windpower

"windpower, isn't this kinda like closing the barn doors after the horses are out?  I mean really, were you not aware there was a problem until this weekend?  The problem has already crept up, manifested, exploded, and is now on every new station every day.  Hell every single commercial on television makes a reference to "this economy" and saving money.  Kinda late with the warning there bud. "

This sounds as if you did not view the vids.

So you are saying that you have pulled all your dollars out of the bank at this point ?

and if you did where did you stash it -- buired in the back yard, converted to gold, purchased barter goods, real estate

But there was a hellava lot more info in there than just getting your money out of the banks

but whatever -- I just put stuff out there,  if you aren't interested .....
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

tesa

i remember, when i was a wee lass, my grandfather kept money in a mason jar burried under my
grandmothers petunias.

not kidding

and i also remember, it was a big secret, for obvious reasons, but i heard my father and his brother talking
about it, and asked my dad, he said, "yup, paw paw's got about 5000 bucks in mason jars all over your
maw maw's garden, i've lost count, when he dies, we're gonna have to dig up the entire garden to find it
all"

he passed when i was 12

i wonder if they ever found all his money, and i'd dearly love to go back and dig around, but the old
homestead is now a parkinglot, so i guess its too late anyway

honestly, my husband thinks i'm kiddng, but i plan to do the same thing

i plan to get me a mason jar, and burry it under my petunias, just like my paw paw

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

considerations

Mason Jars underground.  Dependent upon your climate....needs condensation and rust control or the bills get moldy....don't ask how I know that.  :-\

hnash53

Thanks for the links to the videos.

This fellow confirms what is laid out in more detail in the Zeitgeist Addendum which can also be found on You tube in about 13 parts.  Or you can order the DVD for about $6... well worth the money.

I've got some cash in regular banks which I can liquidate pretty fast.  But what about all my retirement money in Tiaa-Cref?  All of that I can't touch without a 10% IRS penalty until I'm 59.5 years old...about 3.5 years from now.  None of it is in the stock market but rather a guaranteed fund called Tiaa Traditional.  Guaranteed never to go below 3%.  If that goes to hell, I'm !@@@#$##!!

It kind of pisses me off that they say it's my money but it really isn't.  Strings attached not only by the IRS but by Tiaa-Cref too.

Anybody here ever heard of SEPPs?  Substantially equal periodic payments?  A way to access retirement money prior to 59.5 years of age?

Thanks.

Hal 

Sassy

Communities print their own currency to keep cash flowing

In Detroit, three downtown businesses have created a local currency, or scrip, to keep dollars earned locally in the community.    
Enlarge image Enlarge    By David Coates, The Detroit News, via AP
In Detroit, three downtown businesses have created a local currency, or scrip, to keep dollars earned locally in the community.

By Marisol Bello, USA TODAY
A small but growing number of cash-strapped communities are printing their own money.

Borrowing from a Depression-era idea, they are aiming to help consumers make ends meet and support struggling local businesses.

The systems generally work like this: Businesses and individuals form a network to print currency. Shoppers buy it at a discount — say, 95 cents for $1 value — and spend the full value at stores that accept the currency.

Workers with dwindling wages are paying for groceries, yoga classes and fuel with Detroit Cheers, Ithaca Hours in New York, Plenty in North Carolina or BerkShares in Massachusetts.

Ed Collom, a University of Southern Maine sociologist who has studied local currencies, says they encourage people to buy locally. Merchants, hurting because customers have cut back on spending, benefit as consumers spend the local cash.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009-04-05-scrip_N.htm
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

tesa

i wonder how i would solve the mold issue in my mason jar full of money?

theres got to be a way

maby if  i kept the money in a ziploc baggie, and then put the money in the jar?

i'm not sayin' i'm gonna keep evry dime like that, but i'm beginning to get a bit
jumpy over the bank situation

we pay too many bills online, and then if we don't use a bank, we'd have to buy
money orders to mail off to make the car note and such, as none of them
are local

i wonder if the trade off of buying money orders, and stamps would be worth the
fact that i know where all my money is (in my backyard)

also, another thing we've considered, without a bank, we'd have to go to one
of thsoe check cashing places that charge you 10%

i doubt daniels job would pay him in cash

its a racket, man

it would be hard to be without that bank totally, but if i could make it worth it, i
would

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

Squirl

Sassy,
I read that article.  The first thing I thought of was of a currency exchange as defined by FinCEN.  If I owned a busininess I would not participate in any exchange like this after the patriot act.  They did not have the patriot act in 1929.  This could be used by someone to launder money.

Hypothetical:
You can take $9,000 of drug money and buy $10,000 of "Plenty".  Then take your "Plenty" and buy $10,000 of goods (light bulbs) and turn around and sell $10,000 of goods (light bulbs) for $9,000 to a buyer.  Dirty money in, clean money out.  This is a great way, because the usually loss associate with the exchanges is absorbed by the merchant.

This is not a how to, and should not be attempted.  Avoiding cash reporting or laundering money is a felony and punishable by up to 20 years in prison.  This is not legal advice. 

rwanders

The SEPP program allows someone 55 years old to access a retirement account. There is a somewhat complex formula which establishes the annual draw which cannot be changed for 5 years or until you reach 59 1/2 whichever comes first. You should probably see a CPA to ensure you cross all the T's in the IRS approved manner. You will still have to pay income tax of course.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

tesa

yes! silica packs!!

thats just what i need!

great idea

this payday, i'm gonna stash my first 20 bucks in that jar.  i'm not gonna burry it tho, not yet, it would be
too much trouble to dig it up every payday, so i'm gonna fill it up THEN burry it..HA

and make my grandkids search the vegetable patch for 'em when i'm dead

i can start a family tradition

tesa

pagan

I remember reading about a natural healer down south who buried the silver dollars people paid him with all around his land. Apparently people will search his land with metal detectors looking for the old mason jars filled with silver dollars. Every few years someone will find one. Of course, as is usual with these stories, the money is cursed.