My Introduction

Started by Jordan Berry, February 27, 2009, 09:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan Berry

Hello,

My name is Jordan. I currently live in Moberly, Missouri.

My girlfriend is going to nursing school in Kansas City (2.5h drive from Moberly) and I'm in the process of starting a wedding video business.

The KC wedding market is the best in Missouri and my girl friend needs to be close her school. We also have a lot of family in the KC area.

My plan is to find some land within a 45 minute drive of KC (School / Client Meetings), MO and Odessa (Family), MO.  And then build a small cottage.

Carrie (my girlfriend) and I are saving up every penny we can and hope to have enough saved up by August-ish.

I lived for 4 months in the trans-Himalayan mountains (Jammu & Kashmir, India) while in High School and I learned a lot about a simple lifestyle from the people living there...

It is my dream that Carrie and I find the right land and build a cottage. I'm currently helping my dad build his own house and I have some experience with construction.

My dad and grandpa on the other hand are the ultimate handy men.

I hope to start my project here soon! As of now we're still looking for land.

I'm so happy I found this place! Everyone seems so nice !

I will leave you with a question.. Where do you look for land? Craigslist, local listings, and bidselect is where I've searched so far.

devildog

w*  I found my land on realtor.com, but looked on every advertisement possible. Ihope your plans work out for you.

i

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

MountainDon

We found ours on the website of the realtor with the listing, a local guy right in the area we wanted.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

We were looking at a property when a realator happened to drive in.  When we told him that it wasn't what we wanted, and why, he told us about a place he was going to be listing in the near future.  
Some is luck, some is knowing the area, some is doing your own legwork.

Know what you want, and how much you're willing to spend.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

StinkerBell

peternap

Welcome to the site.

Look everywhere for land. It shows up in the strangest places sometimes. In addition to net listings, talk to as many of the locals you can. Just tell them what you want and give them your number. You would be amazed at the number of people who have land they are thinking about selling, but haven't done anything about it.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

http://www.unitedcountry.com/Search06/SearchResults.Asp?SID=68263806&Lcnt=

is where I found my farm

this is a huge company with many listings
the people I have dealt with have been professional and helpful

good luck

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

southernsis

Write up an ad stating what you want and where, with your contact info. Then post it on every bulletin board you can find in the area you are interested in. Most of the gas stations/stores, grocery stores, banks and even the post office. This is a great way to have people with land contact you. Good luck finding the property you really want. If I was closer to your area, I would help you find it, AR and MO Broker, but I am in Arkansas.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

Redoverfarm

Now would be a time to check on Deliquent taxes at the county courthouse.  There are a lot of farms or portions of land that people have acquired from estates and just don't want to do anything with them and therefore just quit paying the taxes on.  Some may come back in the allotted time period to reclaim but alot of them don't.   

Jordan Berry

Thank you everyone for all the great advice!

I'll definitely make some posters and place then around here and the other local towns.

I'll also check out the sites that have been listed!

Thank you again! I'm very excited about this journey!

Jordan Berry

Quote from: Windpower on February 28, 2009, 05:09:06 AM
http://www.unitedcountry.com/Search06/SearchResults.Asp?SID=68263806&Lcnt=

is where I found my farm

this is a huge company with many listings
the people I have dealt with have been professional and helpful

good luck

Wow, this site has a LOT of great land! Thank you so much!