Interior walls

Started by diyfrank, February 09, 2009, 11:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

Interior walls...

I look for what catches my eye and is cheap.  What I picked up the other day is fence boards.  About 600 sq ft of 1/2 x 4 rough cedar boards for free.  It looks nice and would give it the look I'm after.  How could you use these on the walls?  Run them horizontal and stager the ends?  Maybe use some smooth boards as trim around windows?  It may make the room look dark??

Whats your suggestions besides using something else.  Can it be put to use and made to look nice in a cabin?
Home is where you make it

glenn kangiser

How about diagonal as an alternative?  Tons of restaurants use similar for interior decoration.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Diagonal looks good; we've done fencing like that too.

Remember the square edge boards will expand/shrink and reveal what's behind. So you'll need something as a backer material.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

Would you do it all diagonal?  same direction everywhere?  Any pictures handy to look at?

What would you suggest putting behind? Paneling??

MountainDon

You do a lower wall wainscot with verticals and an upper section diagonal.

As for what to place behind the boards... ??? Cheap paneling, thin osb (I've seen 1/4" I think), ..... ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

What about just using tar paper as an uber-cheap backing?

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

diyfrank

Yeah, That sounds good.  Might be tricky attaching vertical to 24 oc studs. the back board would have the chore of holding it in place.
How much of a gap do you think they will gain between each. A little or lot?  

Don_P

It depends on the moisture content of the wood now vs the average moisture content in service. If you don't mind living with it for awhile, bringing the material in and acclimating it to wintertime humidity levels indoors will help reduce gapping later. Well stickered layers of 1/2" thick cedar will dry out in a week or three.

If you have a router I've made quite a bit of panelling, wainscot and flooring with various tongue and groove profiles with just a router.

I did this out of one of our homeowners favorite trees that fell across the road while we were building. I used 7/16 osb backup so that I could glue and shoot trim nails anywhere.

Unrelated but kinda neat, this was inside a log the other day.

glenn kangiser

A version of bluestaining?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

Not fungal, bluestain is dormant here now. It is called generically "mineral streak". I don't know why it is so vivid in tulip poplar. This is one cut in, on the outer face opposite the brown area is old damage to the tree. It runs up from the roots occassionally as well. Those colors fade very quickly, its a shame we can't "fix" them.

diyfrank

Thanks for posting your pictures Don P

If anyone has anymore / different ideas, fire away

If you seen something interesting done somewhere using this type of wood on the inside.