Nails for Paslode air framer PT certified?

Started by NM_Shooter, October 07, 2008, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I have a beautiful Paslode air nailer.  It may be the first tool that I have truly had a meaningful relationship with  ;D  (Sure, I had brief flings with a drill press, planer, biscuit joiner, and even a skid loader in my younger days, but this Paslode is The ONE).

A few questions for you pro types....

Is there a nail that I can feed this thing that is PT wood certified?

Does anyone sell those types of nails in less than full case? 

Any idea what the price premium is for them?

I want to use it to nail my beams together and am planning on PT material for the beams.  I'm hoping not to have to hand drive all those nails....

Thanks for any input.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

hot dipped nails are listed on Paslode's website, ACQ PT approved

http://www.paslode.com/products/fasteners_catalog/hot-dipped.html

The Senco distributor's store used to sell part boxes of everything but staples. I know that doesn't help you with Paslode... I just thought I'd mention it as interesting that someone has done it in the past.

You could also borrow my Bostitch framing nailer... I believe I still have some of their PT approved  3 inch and/or 3 1/2 inch (?) nails left up there in the shed in the Jemez. How many nails would you need? We're going up on Thursday MTL, back Monday.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I know it's one more tool, Frank but you may find you could love another also.

The palm nailer will drive single hot dipped nails, spikes etc, and you know a man can love more than one tool at a time.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 08, 2008, 12:31:37 AM

The palm nailer will drive single hot dipped nails, spikes etc, and you know a man can love more than one tool at a time.

Hmmm.... that's an idea.  I could tack the beams initially together with the Paslode to hold it in place, and then use spikes with the hand nailer.

I won't need to start assembling beams until June '09.  I already have snow on the ground at the site  :-[ 

-f-

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 08, 2008, 02:30:29 PM

I won't need to start assembling beams until June '09.  I already have snow on the ground at the site  :-[ 

Bummer. I thought we were in for some last weekend, but we dodged that by being a thousand or so feet lower. But I can sure tell it's well into fall up there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 08, 2008, 02:30:29 PM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 08, 2008, 12:31:37 AM

Hmmm.... that's an idea.  I could tack the beams initially together with the Paslode to hold it in place, and then use spikes with the hand nailer.

-f-

That would give you time to take your new palm nailer out on a couple dates. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Hmmmm.... maybe take a nice long drive out to the sawmill and look around?  Or maybe dinner and a framing party. 

Good idea.

I borrowed one from a buddy once.  I can see the attraction.

-f-

P.S.  Joking aside, I thought that these would be a good way for my daughters to help drive nails at the cabin.  I suspect that they are fairly safe to use.

Glenn, I am going to buy one of these, and tell my wife that you tempted me into it.

FrankInWI

you guys turned me on to the palm nailer.  What a marvel!   I got a upper wall with a low slope roof and no colar ties.  I worry about snow load pushing out the walls (bought a house with that damage once).   This weekend before the insulation was blown in, I used the palm nailer to drive 6 inch barn spikes through the upstairs lower wall plate through the floor and into the floor joist beam surrounding the house.  Then I went downstairs and did the reverse.... I nailed the lower wall top plates to that big sill beam from the bottom.  tied it all together. The palm nailer is a marvel.
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

I can take the blame, NM Frank.  People are always pinning things on me. d*

I think it is something the whole family can enjoy. :)

FrankInWi, glad you like it.  I use mine quite often.  It will even drive roofing nails through the high rib on corrugated roofing - the old style.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: FrankInWI on October 09, 2008, 06:59:59 PM
you guys turned me on to the palm nailer.  What a marvel!   I got a upper wall with a low slope roof and no colar ties.  I worry about snow load pushing out the walls (bought a house with that damage once).   This weekend before the insulation was blown in, I used the palm nailer to drive 6 inch barn spikes through the upstairs lower wall plate through the floor and into the floor joist beam surrounding the house.  Then I went downstairs and did the reverse.... I nailed the lower wall top plates to that big sill beam from the bottom.  tied it all together. The palm nailer is a marvel.

What brand / model did you get? 

firefox

I am sure he will respond, after his heavy date... :), but I believe he got the Senco one.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

I also got the Senco and the optional pole barn spike 60d driver.