How to do a soil sample...?

Started by Erin, June 25, 2008, 01:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

is this something I have to hire someone to do?  Or is this a DIY project?

I finally tracked down an engineer.  We're entirely too rural, so our yellow pages came up empty.  But, I called our local modular house manufacturer to see who they use.  Some firm in Indiana
(I'm thinking I'm going to hunt further afield, say Omaha or Denver, before I go that far afield!  lol)

Anyway, speaking to the staff architect, he said I'd need a soil sample (compression, water holding, etc.) before the engineer could design our basement walls. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

glenn kangiser

I'd say he wants a test done by a professional agency --- you could ask him.  There are lots of types of soil - is this required or for you?

All of these agencies will cost lots of money --- you are entering into the good ol' boy support system when you go there.

Possibly a discussion with a local concrete company or contractor or all of the above,  could net you information of what is successful in your area.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Erin

Keep in mind, this is the modular company's architect I talked to.  He farms engineering stuff out to this firm in IN. 
He just said I'd need a soil test in order for that firm to do my engineering. 

I honestly don't know what direction to go here. 

QuotePossibly a discussion with a local concrete company or contractor or all of the above,  could net you information of what is successful in your area.

Talk to them about how to build our walls, you mean? 

BTW, glenn, I can't even begin to thank you (and everyone else who regularly chimes in).  You guys are ready with ideas at the drop of a hat... experiences and information to share...  You have no idea how truly valuable you guys are!

glenn kangiser

Yes - if you have no inspections required then the local guys can probably provide you with info of what works in your area with your soil conditions.

If you get a bunch of soil testers and engineers involved they know no more than you or the local guys, but will learn at your expense to the tune of probably $75 to $150 dollars per hour plus travel and expenses likely.  They may be cheaper in Nebraska.  The local builders likely already know what it takes.

The problem would be if the modular company of permit officials require their buddies to make a profit off of you and won't let you do it using local knowledge.  IE: Want an engineers stamp of approval.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Erin

QuoteYes - if you have no inspections required then the local guys can probably provide you with info of what works in your area with your soil conditions.

Great!  that's what I need to know.  And nope, no zonings, no inspections, no engineer/architect stamps required, etc. 

I only need an engineer (or someone in the know!) to get an idea of how to build our back, 40' long basement wall that is essentially the only retaining wall in our house.  The side walls are half exposed as the grade drops, the front entirely daylight exposed.

glenn kangiser

I can tell you an engineer designed Mike and Michele's bigger house project walls in off topics.  They would be similar to the needs of your retaining wall and are designed for 10 foot of backfill but they are braced to the other side.  I would think a concrete buttress in the center of the 40' if possible would be advisable.  No guarantees from me though.  Just telling you of what we did.