Questions about 1 story 20x30 cottage.

Started by GW, September 27, 2007, 05:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

Although I bought the Victoria's plans I'm thinking about building the One-story 20' x 30' Cottage instead. The questions I have are as follows; Would it be possible to add a 10 ft shed dormer on each side of this roof to create a second bedroom? Where would the stairs go? And finally where does one get the changes made to the plans?

John_C

It would seem to me that a better starting point for that project would be the 1-1/2 story 20x30.  You could shorten or eliminate the knee wall and add the dormers.  But you would have plans for the second floor structure, stairs and probably a foundation more suited to the additional loads.

I believe John has an option for engineered joists that eliminates the need for a bearing wall. In that case the stairs can go almost anywhere you want them.

GW

Here is an idea of what I'd like to do.Would a person have to hire a draftsman to make these changes or could you do it yourself?  

glenn-k

You should be able to do it yourself.  John has information in his plans that tell you how to make changes.  Sometimes your building department will require an architect to review the plans for local conditions no matter what - sometimes they don't care.  Every place is different.

hobbiest

QuoteHere is an idea of what I'd like to do.Would a person have to hire a draftsman to make these changes or could you do it yourself?  
Looks like you already did! ;D

glenn-k

A detail the other way - figuring out widths - doubling rafters at the sides etc and it should be about done.  Details of how it is framed are in the framing manual PDF in the free stuff section.  John also includes some framing details in the plans.  Since it is conventional stick framing they aren't always needing to see much more.  It is already approved in the codes, but if they are working the good ol' boy system hard they may make you go to a local professional to make a donation also.