Septic leachfield vent

Started by cbc58, September 13, 2015, 09:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

Wonder if a septic leachfield vent is required on all new systems and if so, if there is an alternative to having a pipe stick out of the ground that looks hideous.  I know you can paint them green, or put a fake tree around one... but can you get away with not having one with a new install ?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: cbc58 on September 13, 2015, 09:43:20 AM
Wonder if a septic leachfield vent is required on all new systems and if so, if there is an alternative to having a pipe stick out of the ground that looks hideous.  I know you can paint them green, or put a fake tree around one... but can you get away with not having one with a new install ?

I am not aware of any leachfield requiring a vent.  The only pipe protruding from your septic system would be an inspection port in your septic tank.  As far as the length I am not sure what is actually code in that I had eliminated mine and installed a screwed cap which allows the inspection of the tank through that opening.  Depending on how your system is installed I would put in a cleanout between the tank and the residence to be able to "snake" that area in case a clog would develop.  Each individual jurisdiction have different regulations so I would check with your particular area to see what is /is not required.  Some states even require a distribution box between the tank and the field.

flyingvan

The only time vents are required that I'm aware of is for aerobic systems.  Aerobic systems are fairly complicated monsters requiring air pumps and frequent maintenance but can save an old failing anaerobic system, or provide an option where soils are so poor no good biomat will form.  There are some jurisdictions requiring inspection holes in infiltrator runs, mostly because they are new and not everyone trusts them yet.  A vent on an anaerobic system would stink.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Dave Sparks

Each field with infiltrators has to have a pipe up at the end of the field in Mariposa CA for the Health Department to approve. You can cut and plug them below ground level.
"we go where the power lines don't"

flyingvan

They weren't required down here in Sandy Eggo but I put two in the way you said just because I'm curious about my system.  The downhill infiltrators only get effluent when the uphill ones saturate, and I want to get a feel for how much of my systm is actually getting used
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 13, 2015, 11:08:35 AM
I am not aware of any leachfield requiring a vent.  The only pipe protruding from your septic system would be an inspection port in your septic tank.  As far as the length I am not sure what is actually code in that I had eliminated mine and installed a screwed cap which allows the inspection of the tank through that opening.  Depending on how your system is installed I would put in a cleanout between the tank and the residence to be able to "snake" that area in case a clog would develop.  Each individual jurisdiction have different regulations so I would check with your particular area to see what is /is not required.  Some states even require a distribution box between the tank and the field.

I can only speak for conventional fields.  Some special applications might require additional components.  The majority of the soil here will perk so no special outlets or vents are needed.  I only know of one here that has a mound which I think uses peat moss which had to be changed at regular intervals. 

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 14, 2015, 07:27:58 AM
I can only speak for conventional fields.  Some special applications might require additional components.  The majority of the soil here will perk so no special outlets or vents are needed.  I only know of one here that has a mound which I think uses peat moss which had to be changed at regular intervals.

When we lived up in the valley we needed to put in a new drain field.  The inspector me, "Oh we can find a spot for the drain field there are a lot of designs .....  just you will not like the cost and we do not care for some of them ourselves...."   I never have been required to vent infiltrators - one reason they are designed and built the way they are.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Patrick

They put filters on our conventional system that was just installed using the infiltrators for the drainfield,he said they can be cut down after the ground settles.We are  in northern wisconsin and the installer was a master plumber as required by Wisconsin.