Building walls off site ?

Started by schiada, June 20, 2014, 05:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schiada

Back at it again. Shoulders are better,I hope ?

Been think about building the walls at my shop and moving to the site. I have help their and can work in the shade with a cooler on me but its still out side ! We are in 100* now.  I understand it will take more wood, but is their a big reason not too ?
I'm thinking 8' x 10' high . Will be building the 1 1/2 story, 24' x 30' on a  cinder block basement. That would be a total of 14 panels. Was also thinking of putting some of the sheeting on the panels ? I have my tractor up their to help unload and erect the panels.   

Also could use some help with the cinder block basement. How do you find a engineer to do the plans? In my build area I need stamped plan, for that. Building boats I know, home building is new. I may to look into have it done by some one in the area ?
Thanks ! Randy

hpinson

I believe that this house was built a panel at a time, and also used John's 20x30 plans. No basement though:

http://www.countryplans.com/cody.html

new land owner

On my camp I planned out each wall section, cut and assembled all headers and once on sight it took very little time to nail each section together and stand up the walls.

Don_P

Glad the shoulders are getting better  [cool]
Walls frame pretty quickly onsite and the parts are light prior to assembly. My Dad has done it both ways and came to the conclusion that if the weather is anything near bearable it is better to do it onsite. There was an advantage in Feb north of Moscow building them in a shop, you may be in the opposite extreme. I've worked in very hot weather by starting very early, siesta in the midday and work till dark. Makes for a long day but can keep it productive. Looking at my hours for last week I was on the job for 56 hours but worked in the shady shop through the middle of the day and up on the roof on the edges. If you can set up a tent or shade structure to do cutting and sub assembly of headers, corners and T's in it could be similar.

schiada

Thanks for the input.  Thanks Don, i'm getting their.

I will be doing it more for the heat,Sun thing. And all the tools in town.

Any ideas about the basement engineering ? ???

Randy

UK4X4

"Also could use some help with the cinder block basement. How do you find a engineer to do the plans?"

I had to have a stamped foundation plan as well, to keep costs down I did all the dwgs myself and supplied them to the engineer who just checked and stamped them, he added a few notes in red pen like a teacher, and they were submitted to county.

Cost was about 360usd, If I remember rightly, just for his autograph