metal panel siding

Started by ugabulldog, December 16, 2013, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugabulldog

Just wondering if I could install metal panels as vertical siding and attach directly to OSB or if I would still need to run furring strips.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ugabulldog on December 16, 2013, 08:51:08 PM
Just wondering if I could install metal panels as vertical siding and attach directly to OSB or if I would still need to run furring strips.

I would say you could.  Furring strips in verticle siding was mostly for shed and barns where they were unheated and didn't require a complete solid surface such as a dwelling.  If you do decide I would use house wrap or some other waterproof wrap on the OSB.  Pole barns with metal siding often just use purlins (metal or wood)rather than the expense of a solid wall to attach the metal.

MountainDon

I did both on the same building just like Redoverfarm suggested. I don't think there is any reason to not do as you propose, unless there is something I am missing.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ugabulldog

Quote from: MountainDon on December 16, 2013, 09:17:44 PM
I did both on the same building just like Redoverfarm suggested. I don't think there is any reason to not do as you propose, unless there is something I am missing.

Just wanted to make sure the 7/16" osb was enough for the screws to attach to. I have it like that on my roof so I figured it might be ok for walls too.