mr heater not working....

Started by containercabin, April 04, 2013, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

containercabin

Hey,

I bought the little mr heater MH9BX and the hose to connect it to a 20lb propane tank. I just got it yesterday - brand new.

I wanted to test it now so I connected it to my bbq propane tank. I believe there is still gas in it because when I shake it, I can feel that there is liquid inside.

Now, in the beginning - nothing worked. Then I tightened the hose to the tank and I could finally hear the hiss of gas when I pushed the pilot down. Then the pilot lit but after 10 seconds it shut down. So I reconnected the hose again and now it started right up (pilot) and again ran for like 20 second and when I tried to switch it to low - it shut off. Now it is not starting again.... could it be the cold? It is about 34 degrees outside...

Any help?

mgramann

My first guess would be the thermocouple.  It can also take awhile to purge the air from the lines, but that seems less likely since the pilot lit.

MountainDon

Loads of propane info
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10186.0
Small tanks with low level coupled with cold temperatures do not supply much propane gas volume.

What is the max BTU rating on the heater? Is it greater than the volume a small (20#) tank with low level and cold temp can supply according to the tables in that link? The tables do not cover all tanks, fill levels and temps, but you can extrapolate.

Modern portable tanks with the large Acme Nut...

... have safety devices in them and/or in the tank fitting. Many appliances need to have the hose connected to the tank and the appliance and then after the tank valve is opened, you must wait a minute before lighting or using the appliance in any way.

Try disconnecting both ends of the hose.

Be sure the tank valve is fully closed.
Be sure any valves on the appliance are closed.
Connect hose to the tank. Be certain to tighten the Acme nut all the way.
Connect hose to the appliance.
Wait a minute.
Open any valves on the appliance and try lighting /sing.
Any improvement?

My weber grill won't work correctly if I don't follow that drill.
G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

It is entirely possible that the propane cylinder level is sufficiently low that when the heater valve is turned from pilot to full on the pressure collapses enough to cause the burner to flame out. I have experienced that with heaters. I'd recommend trying a full tank. Larger tanks 40's and 100's for example, can supply more pressure and volume at the same temperature than a 20# cylinder can. Using a manifold to couple two 20# cylinders in parallel can also help with the low temperature performance.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

I am having a very similar problem as we speak.

I'm attempting to hook a 20# propane tank to a Coleman stove. Using the correct "Mr. Heater 10' Buddy Series" hose connected from tank to the Coleman Regulator Assembly, propane will not flow from tank to stove. The temp is in the 50's and the tank is full. As near as I can tell, the problem has to do with the flange on the hose to regulator male threaded adapter not being quite long enough to force open the rubber regulator valve.  I can't figure what else it could be. The people at Sportsmans Warehouse were baffled too. I looked at a propane bottle and the flange is a little longer and a little tapered, unlike the Mr. Heater flange.

Your situation is a little different though- you get a little gas bleed. I get none. 

Letting it sit for a minute with the tank open has no affect.

Edit - thought I found a picture of the part, but it's not a match so I removed.

containercabin

Thanks for the help!

I got it to work.. I believe I know why. Where the hose connects to the heater is this lever that is made to hold those small 1lb tanks. I just pushed it back into place as if a bottle is in there and the things started working. I know they have a lot of safety things on it so this might be one of them... Not sure.

Anyway, it now works and I am good to go!

Huge29

The OPD tanks will not work until you reset the valve if the tank has been on its side.  Had that issue a few times where the valve just won't work until messing with it and it finally works fine.  Another possible issue may be elevation, Mr Heater clearly warn that they don't work over 7,000', however I used mine last fall in a hunt at over 10,000' with no issue whatsoever, so I would lean towards a valve issue or very possibly the LP level.  If you are not certainly how much gas there is, there is likely very little. 

containercabin

We got to the land, worked all day, we're excited to sleep there for the first time, and then the heater wouldn't work... It was so frustrating.

The pilot light worked but the second you switch the low - you will hear a squeak noise and then the gas will shut off and the pilot light will die. Nothing I did worked.

We had to drive to friend's house for the night. We we're so crushed.

They are replacing the one I had.

hpinson

I finally figured out how to get the Mr. Heater hose to work with the Coleman propane stove and 20 pound propane tank at 8000 feet.  Connect from tank to stove, turn on the gas valve on the tank, and walk away for 10 minutes. When you return the hose will pass gas. I did some research and this seems a common issue with both the Mr. Heater and standard Coleman tank adaptor hoses, and is by design.  I see the exact same behavior with the Coleman brand hose. There is some sort of pressure valve inside one of the hose fittings that takes minutes under pressure to open, and gas will not flow freely until it does. Or at least that is the case at a higher altitude.

If I turn the gas valve off at the cylinder and back on again. The valve resets to 0. You have to wait another ten minutes before the hose will pass gas.

This means I have to leave the cylinder valve open all the time if I want immediate use of the stove. I don't really like that, but so long as the stove is not leaking gas anywhere, I guess it is no different than a home gas appliance.

Performance is fine once you know this trick.

I believe this is what is happening to you too containercabin.