Column and Beam Construction

Started by Tome, October 14, 2012, 08:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tome

When you use column and ridge beam construction how do you transfer the load from the column to the column footing?

Does the column sit on top of the footing or does it extend into the footing? How would a non treated column be protected from decay at contact with the footing?

I am using a raised concrete slab floor.

Thnks

PEG688

It wouldn't have to be continuous to the concrete footing.  Generally it would go from the top of the bottom plate , continuously to the bottom of the ridge beam .

You say you have a   "raised concrete slab floor."  So slab on grade with thickened edges?  If so your bottom plates of your exterior walls will be PT lumber , if so like I said above top of PT plate to under side of ridge beam, the post or column as you called it would not need to be PT as it would not be touching the concrete.

If you miss described your floor system , and you have  a box sill with joist , your post goes from the top side of the bottom plate to the bottom of the ridge beam. You then solid block the joist bay under the post , direct bearing essentially. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Erin

If your post is going to be supporting a load, rather that merely being decorative, it needs to be on a footer.  That is, that part of the slab needs to be several inches thicker than just the slab itself. (I think that's what you're saying, I just want to make sure we're on the same page!)

So far as how you attach it, there are post supports that are basically a lift...steel brackets that hold the post up off the floor.
Something like this:

or this:

that connect to your newly poured concrete like this:

or this:
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Tome

Quote from: PEG688 on October 14, 2012, 10:13:43 PM
It wouldn't have to be continuous to the concrete footing.  Generally it would go from the top of the bottom plate , continuously to the bottom of the ridge beam .

You say you have a   "raised concrete slab floor."  So slab on grade with thickened edges?  If so your bottom plates of your exterior walls will be PT lumber , if so like I said above top of PT plate to under side of ridge beam, the post or column as you called it would not need to be PT as it would not be touching the concrete.

If you miss described your floor system , and you have  a box sill with joist , your post goes from the top side of the bottom plate to the bottom of the ridge beam. You then solid block the joist bay under the post , direct bearing essentially.

Yea, I may be a little rusty with terms so I apologize for the confusion. The floor will be concrete on grade and the grade will be raised by soil fill inside of a concrete block perimeter wall. The floor slab will be supported by the soil fill and confined by the use of a concrete header block around the perimeter. The FFE will be about two feet above existing grade.

The ridge beam will go through the middle or center of the cabin and be supported by equally spaced posts. My question was how to transfer the load through the floor slab to the post footing. I believe a more recent post may have answered the question.

The floor slab  configuration I tried to describe above is
Quote from: Erin on October 14, 2012, 10:55:13 PM
If your post is going to be supporting a load, rather that merely being decorative, it needs to be on a footer.  That is, that part of the slab needs to be several inches thicker than just the slab itself. (I think that's what you're saying, I just want to make sure we're on the same page!)

So far as how you attach it, there are post supports that are basically a lift...steel brackets that hold the post up off the floor.
Something like this:

or this:

that connect to your newly poured concrete like this:

or this:

used on about 90% of the production houses being built here in eastern NC. From the curb it looks like a house with a crawl space but at a more economical price.

Tom

UK4X4

If I understand correctly

perimeter wall and footings - backfilled with soil- then a concrete cap as the floor

But you have a supporting pillar in the middle of the house ?

Ie you are asking if the probably 4" pored floor could support the weight of the pillar.

My thoughts would be no- but I'm not an expert

You'd probably have to build a footing at the undisturbed soil level large enough to support the load- bring that up to the floor level by sonotube or blocks
backfill arround it and then tie it with re-bar into the floor and then connect the pillar after the floors poured

Tome

Quote from: UK4X4 on October 18, 2012, 01:21:35 PM
If I understand correctly

perimeter wall and footings - backfilled with soil- then a concrete cap as the floor

But you have a supporting pillar in the middle of the house ?

Ie you are asking if the probably 4" pored floor could support the weight of the pillar.

My thoughts would be no- but I'm not an expert

You'd probably have to build a footing at the undisturbed soil level large enough to support the load- bring that up to the floor level by sonotube or blocks
backfill arround it and then tie it with re-bar into the floor and then connect the pillar after the floors poured

Yes, I agree I need a footing for the post.  The post will be tied to the footing with the Simpson type bracket included under on of the previous responses.

Thanks
Tom