Pathway lights

Started by new land owner, August 06, 2012, 04:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

I was at camp a couple of weeks ago and a nephew of my sisters came up with this idea for pathway lights.  These could be hung next to the door or placed on a table.  Everyone I show this to wants them.

My wife and I decided to improve on the idea and this is our design.

They put out a lot of light and I can't wait to get them set up at camp.  It will be nice to have some light when we arrive after dark.

MountainDon

Let us know how that works out. My experience with that type of solar light has not been too wonderful. The six we had would not remain illuminated all night. A couple ceased working at all within a couple of months. We now use strings of white LED Christmas tree lights along the eves, powered by the cabin PV/battery system. No, they don't come on automatically at dusk; we have to flick a switch. Works for us though. If the ones you have provide a decent service life that would be great. hanging them on a wall or post would also make them more useful when it snows.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

The little solar lights and or the white LED Christmas lights work well to aid in a little visibility.  I took a horrible fall the other night in the dark going out to the shop.  Did not think I needed any stinking flashlight.  I walk out there and back in the dark all the time.  I never figured out what I tripped over.  I do know the way I went down I am so lucky I did not break something.  As I am getting older I am really finding myself relearning to protect myself a little better all the time.

[cool] project!

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

new land owner

Don

I have some of those light placed in the back yard here at home and they seem to last fine.  My first concern is would they last all night and then i came to realize that i only need them in the evening.  So far they last all night if it is a sunny day.

Tom

firefox

Gee Rick, welcome to the club... ;D
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rick91351

Worst part about it I have been clean and sober since   ???  1989 or 90......   [waiting]

rlr
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

considerations

"Worst part about it I have been clean and sober since   ???  1989 or 90......   [waiting]"

The really cool thing is that it's been so long that it is now hard to remember the exact year. Congrats!

rick91351

Thank! For those so troubled it can be done.   :D

Dave Sparks

I am with Don. I would go further and say the solar lights are a waste of money over the years. Run wire and power them off a real battery and a real solar panel.

If I could find a solar light that had a glass solar panel, no entry points for bugs, and decent batteries from a name brand battery company I might be interested.
"we go where the power lines don't"

new land owner

As for them being a waste of money I bought 8 light for $19.99.  The wood to build the lamp holders was end cut of my camp siding, so no cost there.  No power being used when I am not at camp and it will be nice to pull in late and have some light on the property. Seems like a good use of money to me.  We will see how long they last but if I have to replace the batteries even every year is still seems like a good value to me.