Vet discount at Lowe's

Started by Okie_Bob, May 15, 2011, 09:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

Was at Lowe's recently and at checkout the lady asked if I was a vet. Don't know why she asked other than my new real short haircut but, told her I was and she asked if I had any kind of proof on me. I showed her my VA card, an old paper one I've carried many years for some unknown reason and she said perfect and gave me a 10% discount!. I've been back once since and asked for the discount and was given it without question! May not be much but, it's worth asking if you are ex-military. I only served 5 years and did not retire, just served my time and got out.
Check it out.

325ABN

Have not been to Lowes but may be going there in the future seeing how Home Depot has revoked the Vet discount for us "regular" Combat Vets and now only give it to us on certain holidays or if you are retired or service connected you can get it every day. d* ???

MountainDon

Lowe's also gives 10% off to active duty, unless that has changed in the last year or sp.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

I subscribe to a military vehicle forum and they posted that it was
corporate policy for both HD and Lowes to give 10 % to anyone who has served in the US armed services irregardless of time in service.
They say to call the 800 service line for the corporation if a store denies it to you.

Disclaimer: I have not verified this yet.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

FrankInWI

I always get the military discount at HD.  I do show them ID on occasion, but they never asked if I was disabeled (which I am).   I show them my VA ID.

I don't shop at Lowes.   

We also have a big home improvement retailer in midwest called Menards (bigger lumber selection than the others, and very aggresive pricing).  Menards has no such program, and I make a point to shop them less because of it.
god helps those who help them selves

325ABN

Thoughout my current home build I have been given the Vet discount at HD and it has saved me a lot of $$$$$$ but it also enticed me into the store. I have always been able to get it based on my VFW card only recently have started to ask for a VA ID card with service connected disabilty or retired. I am niether I am a Combat Vet however. I have spent thousands at HD over the last year because of the discount now I will go else where when I can.

OlJarhead

Quote from: 325ABN on May 16, 2011, 09:01:22 PM
Thoughout my current home build I have been given the Vet discount at HD and it has saved me a lot of $$$$$$ but it also enticed me into the store. I have always been able to get it based on my VFW card only recently have started to ask for a VA ID card with service connected disabilty or retired. I am niether I am a Combat Vet however. I have spent thousands at HD over the last year because of the discount now I will go else where when I can.

That chaps my....seriously.

firefox

I have sent HD an email via there contact web form asking
what their corporate policy is with respect to US veterans.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

OlJarhead

As a veteran I don't ask for anything, as I'm sure the rest of you don't, but when it is offered I am always appreciative.  When it is offered to only a select group of veterans I'm bothered by that.  When the select group specifically does not include combat veterans (we don't carry a special card saying "I've seen the Elephant" either) I get a little upset.  Not because I am a veteran, not because I am, more specifically a war veteran, or because I am a combat veteran, but rather because of all the groups who can claim the title 'veteran' I think those who have served in combat or in a war zone in the combat zone (not necessarily 'combat') these individuals have the credentials.

First we were called potential terrorists by so called 'home land security' (Mr. Bush, you suck for starting that), then we're told we're not enough of a veteran to get a discount....well, that chaps my #@$@

MountainDon

I believe that if one encounters any selective treatment with any vendor it probably comes out of the vendors employee being confused; maybe they weren't paying proper attention in training class that day. And if situations like that are encountered there should be an immediate inquiry made with the manager on duty. I've always found the MOD to be helpful.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

This is what I received from HD

It may vary from store to store.

The Home Depot Veterans Discount Program* (Updated)
As we announced earlier this year, we offer a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families.  We offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe.  Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military ID.

In addition, a 10 percent discount is also offered in recognition of Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day at all U.S. Home Depot stores for all other military veterans.  So as a veteran, we invite you into our stores this weekend to take advantage of the discount.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824