Where to get water?

Started by Mad-Dax, July 01, 2010, 04:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad-Dax

Hi,

I am having difficulty trying to find out where I can get water delivered to my property to fill a tank.  I have some land about 40 miles east of Dallas...a water meter can be put there for $3000....I thought maybe i can get a couple of tanks or one 3000 gallon tank and just have a truck come fill it...etc. while I am building my small house.  I have called all the water companies within 20 miles of my property and they don't know where I can get it delivered.  Any ideas to what to look under in the yellow pages.....I keep finding Ozarka, Culligan, etc delivered...but you know that is bottle water.

Txcowrancher

Hi there neighbor
we live just east of greenville. we havent been able to cough up $7k for a well so we built a rain system. but we supliment with city water from the city of greenville, it is just about free, we use a trailer and get about 500 gallons at a time. this has worked pretty well for us for 2 years now. you can quickly fill tanks from a fire hose setup at the water dept. let me know if you want more info.

Txcowrancher

forgot to add, there is no one I could find to deliver water either. I looked pretty hard also.

325ABN

A caged plastic tank will work great. The can be had pretty cheap!

MountainDon

One still needs a source. In the mountains where our cabin is that is very difficult to find, unless you have a friend who doesn't mind being the provider.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dougpete

Speaking of tanks - often you can get a used double wall stainless steel tank from a dairy farm very cheap.  It seems that when the refrigeration coils go bad, they are easier to replace than repair.  We got an 800 gallon stainless for $400, about what new plastic would have cost.

dougpete

I should have added, the best way to find them is to call the companies that install dairy barn equipment.  They often haul out the old ones and sell them for scrap, although they work great for water.

Redoverfarm

I used a "food grade" one time use caged tanks ($75) from Craigslist and can get it filled at our local water department for $.01 per gallon. $3 for 300 gal.  If you are using it for drinking water a lot of people will not haul because of liability.  Vol Fire Dept's used to haul but the liability put a halt to that.  If you have the means to haul and can find A tank to use that would be the way to go.

Erin

In my area, most towns have a suspended stand-pipe specifically for filling water trailers.  (Usually for hauling water to livestock, but it's just out of the city well).
We're currently using a friend's 1000 gallon water trailer and pulling it behind our pickup.

It costs us $6 to fill it.  

I'd give your local city halls a call and see what you might find out...
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

cmsilvay

Couple of questions
How far is it from your home the the building site/
Are you looking for Potable water or for other purposes?
How much water will you need for each stay.

Minicup28

You might check under "Swimming Pools" for a filling service. There are several tankers around my area that truck water.
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...

Mad-Dax

Quote from: cmsilvay on July 06, 2010, 08:09:35 AM
Couple of questions
How far is it from your home the the building site/
Are you looking for Potable water or for other purposes?
How much water will you need for each stay.

80 miles from my house...
Wanted potable
Not sure how much...but I tell you what my stupid water company says I used 14000 gallons last month...I don't see how there is just two of us...and we are hardly ever home.  Sometimes in the summer the water consumption seemed to be 20-30k gallons a month...that is like 1000 gallons a day...I don't believe them.

Anyways I don't really know how much we would use for household use.

We got these...but then these had some sort of polyethylene foam liquid....but we rinsed them with half a gallon of bleach and it looks pretty clean.

325ABN

Should only use food grade tanks that have only had food stuffs in them!

cmsilvay

The one's you got would be fine for nonpotable since you are unsure what was in them. Also you can keep your eyes out for the blue plastic barrels a lot of them are also used for food products. I can speak from experence on this one the worst time trying to get any work done is when you hav a water problem and u spot more time on the port a pot becuase of it

Mad-Dax

Well the label said polyethylene foam...I went ahead and bought them because i drove 40 miles to get them  :(  lesson learned.
What if I run the water through some water filters if i was to drink it...or surely after filling them up and using/emptying them they will eventually be ok for potable water, no???