New member and foundation question

Started by liga, February 26, 2009, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liga

Hi
I am a 61 single guy, former computer worker, semi retired with a limited income in the San Juan Islands.  This is my first post in the forum.   I am new to buiding anything and consider the forum a great opportunity to learn more about the process of building.  Thank you in advance for reading my post.  Advise would be appreciated.

I recently got the big enchilada package and am considering building the 14 x 24 "builders cottage" as an upgrade from the 29 ft travel trailer I have been living in for 3 years.  I am getting tired of frozen water pipes, inadaquate heating in the winter, and the shortage of space for clothing closets and bathing.  For me the builders cottage would be a lot more space to live in. 

I have my own shy acre in NW Washington at sea level with a well and electricity already in.  The septic soil test guy said my soil percs real good.  There is a slight grade on the property, roughly 1:15  or 1:20 as a guess.  I am a novice builder with very little experience.  I get a lot of advice from others and although I am sure it is well meant, many times it just leaves me troubled.  The issue of foundation is an example.

Some have told me to get a perimeter foundation and have it done professionally.   Anything less is a recipe for failure of the project.  That advice comes from an in law licensed general contractor, but is immediately a problem because I am on a very tight budget and the owner builder permit I hoped to use doesnt' allow hiring contractors to do any significant $ work for me.  The cost of switching to a conventional permit and the expense of hiring foundation contractors would probably be thousands more than doing it myself.   That money could be used for kitchen cabinets or other amenities I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

An engineer friend said I should do a post and pier because it is easier and just as good.  Plenty good - and cites Frank Lloyd Wright Hotels that survived monster earthquakes on post and pier foundations.  But that gets me off the "builders cottage" spec that calls for a perimeter foundation.   I'd rather not make changes to the fundametal design done by an archetect and I really like the heavier insulation and wall thickness of the builders cottage design. 

Another pal with a little more skill and experience than I, said to just do the permimeter foundation myself and he would help me.  He is certain I could do it, and do it right.  He has already done one such perimter foundation himself and it appears to be quite good and his floors and walls appear perfect.

It is curious to me how I almost immediately am having trouble with making a decision and dealing with some dire predictions if I make any of the choices.

This scenario goes back to one of the articles on the Country Homes web site about building is about trust.  It is difficult to sort out different sometime completely contrary advise and how to resolve expectations of others.   

Has anyone out there made this decision and done a perimeter foundation without extensive building experience?  If I go ahead and build my own permiter foundation, is there a way to hire an expert to inspect my framing work before the pour to assure it is actually done right?   Is it out of the question to use several cement mixers and rag tag volunteers with wheel barrows, rather than hire a cement truck? 

Thanks Steve

MountainDon

w*  liga

First, a question. Not all areas require building inspections and code compliance. How about your place? The second part of that question is, If you will be inspected, etc. do the local rules permit pier and beam foundations. Some do not.

Alright then, if pier and beam is allowed it makes for a fine foundation when done correctly.

A full perimeter poured concrete type could be done with on site mixers, but that is a big job. It's heavy work. I've mixed and poured my own driveway and sidewalks and it has always taken me longer than I figured.  >:(  When it came time to build our cabin my past experiences with mixing my own concrete was part of my decision to go with pier and beam using self mixed concrete for just the footers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Steve I certaininly couldn't advise you of Code or permit requirements but alot of the times here the owner/builder will hire a skilled craftmans to work for him and avoid some red tape.  Just like an employee of yours.

in regards to perimeter foundation have you considered a poured wall providing that you have access to bulk plant delivery.  You can buy the styrofoam forms and erect and with the aid of a friend pour them yourself.  No contractor fees to pay.  I am not sure of some of the brands but they will figure what you need for corners and etc..  An added bonus is that the styrofoam stays in place and you get the added advantage of insulation as well.  I think "Liteform" is one brand.

n74tg

Liga:
From reading your initial post it sounds to me like you don't have much confidence as it relates to building a home.  That's okay, you didn't build homes for a living during your career.  The problem is lack of information, not lack of ability.  The lack of information problem is easy enough to solve.  This website has lots of people, with plenty of information (good information) about how YOU can build a house. It also has lots of information about how you can hire others to build the parts of your house that you either can't or don't want to do yourself. 

If your talking about a concrete foundation then that might be one of those areas you don't want to do yourself.  But, then again maybe you are willing to try, especially with the help of an experienced friend.  Your friend that has done this before, sounds pretty good to me.  If you're still in doubt, start reading some books about concrete foundations.  This website has a list of recommended books.  Your local library may have a good collection of books on the subject (mine does).  Any of the "For Pros, By Pros" series of books by Taunton Press are pretty much tops in my opinion.  Likewise the first book you should probably read is Jim Carroll's book "Working Alone".  If you read that and still want to tackle this home building project, then go for it. 

The other thing I would mention here is all the advice about "hiring a pro" to do most everything.  Realize, that's how they make their living.  You doing it yourself doesn't put any money in their pocket.  I've seen lots of shoddy work done by "pros".  That being said, some people truly shouldn't build their own house.  But, if you had the ability and the perseverance to learn how to do computers for a living, then I expect you have the ability to learn how to build a house too.

It won't be easy, and it won't happen nearly as fast as if you hire it done.  But, it will save you lots of money, and it will give you lots of pride that you did it yourself.  I am building my own house too.  If you want to read about some of the problems you will face (including doing your own concrete work), read the blog at the address below. 

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.         
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/