Long cabin...

Started by Greenbank, March 22, 2005, 01:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenbank

I really admire the form of high-walled gable barns, the narower the better. That's the thing I like most about the victoria cottage and the builder's cottage, is their simple and attractive gable form.

So what happens, I wondered, when you simply make the cabin extra extra long as opposed to adding an "L" or similar?

http://www.lawrencearchitecture.com/Bear%20Creek%20Retreat.html

Obviously a bigger and fancier house than what would develop from a stretched Victoria's cabin, but interesting as a concept.

spinnm

Very attractive.  These, like John's, have that classic proportion that I find very appealing.

I don't, however, like the small one with the low side walls and the steeply pitched roof.  Looks like a top hat...all roof.  Just personal preference.

JRR

Very clean roof lines.  No gable valleys.  No crickets.  I can't make out the vent stacks... are they on ridge-line?

spinnm

Think I can see them.  Look near the dormers.

JRR

Yep, I think you're right.  Wonder if they could have been located just under the dormer overhang? ... minimizing leak potential ... or would that violate code?

spinnm

Don't know.  Plumbing code is pretty much nation wide...maybe someone else would know.

I'd be worried about sewer gas even if code is OK.  On a gable roof like this sometimes you have a problem if they're down too low and the pipe is not long enough...same effect as covering them with an overhang I'd think.

jraabe

This project is one that could probably be worked up from a basic 16' wide structure like the Victoria Cottage. Very simple, stretched out narrow house.

In heavy snow country I have ganged the plumbing vents and run them up the chimney (sometimes in the same chimney as the stove, sometimes it requires its own chimney). This way you cricket the chimney and don't shear off the flimsy plastic pipes everytime the snow and ice slides.

Greenbank

Anyone have a guess at the width of the building? I was thinking about 20' x '90 or so.

Hmmm, that's a lot of Quickcrete.  :-/

jraabe

When I look at the Dining room picture, the width of the room at the Galley seems about twice the height of the Hall ceiling. There is a pop-out to the left of the Refr., but the bottom line width looks to be about 16', or maybe 18'.