??? Can It Be Done???

Started by BiggKidd, June 19, 2008, 09:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

lol, we've never finished the wood or tile trim at our house in the valley & at this stage, I doubt if we ever will - unless I do it... when we had our party after getting married 11 years ago, my sister-in-law said to me "you better finish this now or it will never get done."  I told her we'd get it done - we'd done extensive remodeling on the place - did the work in the weekends & evenings after working all day, so we were on a roll...  :D  there's a lot of finish work that still needs to be done in the underground cabin, besides finishing the main part of it...  Glenn is still digging through the mountain, extending his shop - lots of dirt to move. 

And with some of the $$ I got from my dad, I am getting a pool (just above ground 35mil liner) & salt water filter - we'll landscape around it & put a deck around - where it's going, we'll have almost a 360 degree view, I'm so excited.  Also got some solar panels for the pool & the house - going to change from the little propane fridge to a regular one, just not enough room - we have the other GE monitor fridge but I like to stock up on things instead of having to drive to a grocery store all the time - especially with the price of gas...  Glenn is getting together the stuff he needs to build a wind generator, so that will give us 2...  we should be totally energy independent - hopefully won't have to use the generator hardly because that takes gas & causes us to still be dependent on "TheMan" ha... 

Now, did I hijack the thread enough?  As Glenn has said, we've spent very little on the cabin shell itself - even most of the windows are recycled - we've bought 4 dual paned windows in all & 2 of those were Lowes or Home Depot rejects - one nice wood window with wood grids was from a Red Lobster remodel/add-on - its installed behind my sink...  to do what we've done, you do need some fairly big digging equipment & a crane would help - fortunately, Glenn is in the structural steel business so we had the tools/equip we needed.  But, we are definitely not conventional...   ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Mark I just took a look at your complete spread.  It looks like you have enough room between the house and the barn for another building. ;D

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 21, 2008, 12:24:54 PM
Mark I just took a look at your complete spread.  It looks like you have enough room between the house and the barn for another building. ;D
Ya I can squeeze one more in there. I just made a deal for a guy to build me a 500+ ft road up to above the bluff sitting behind the lake. I have another 12-15 acres up there with a great 360 deg view to build on! I got to build the road now before the envioro freeks say I can't because of the shore line on the lake being to close!

mochsa

Quote from: BiggKidd on June 20, 2008, 06:35:55 AM
Wow Thanks for all the positive replies. [cool]

Have any of you seen the counter tops made out of portland and glass. I think we might try that for Kitcken counters. You use broken colored glass mixed in the cement instead of rock then grind it down smooth after its cured. Makes for a neat looking counter top pretty durable too.

Thanks
Larry
If you go to this companies web site 
https://braxton-bragg.com/products/diamond_polishing/3_viper_flexible_diamond_pads_for_marble
you can order some stone polishing pads that will go from 50 grit up and polish that counter top with a grinder, gfi plug and a water hose (put plastic down and lot of towels if water is an issue in the area you are working. 
you will need a 50 grit Stone also (this is not a pad) it will do all the rough work then a 100 grit stone then switch to pads.   it will shine like granite! If you call them they will get you what you need. 
No I do not work for them, I do however buy many of my supplies from them.
oh you will also need a backer pad.  the backer pad attaches to the grinder and the the polishing pads velcro to the backer.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for sharing that, Noel.  I may want to attack a rock one of these days.  I have a whole mountain full of it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 23, 2008, 02:14:28 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Noel.  I may want to attack a rock one of these days.  I have a whole mountain full of it.
I saw some neat stuff on TV you drill a 1" hole in a big rock, pour this stuff after you mix it with water in the hole. Then you wait for a while and it swells up and puts out over 20,000 psi push out and the rock splits. I got a few big ones I would like to try it on! Mark

eric

supercalifragilisticsammydavisjunior

glenn kangiser

I have a box of it but my jackhammer on the Bobcat has been breaking everything  so I didn't try it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.