Crime rates - traveling with a firearm?

Started by LeoinSA, December 17, 2009, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

peternap:

Cool company you keep! I was able to pick out Yul Brynner, Vin Diesel, Ben Kingsley, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, and Telly Savalas!
NE OK

MountainDon

Strange goings on Peter. Not the folks in the pictures, but the pictures themselves.

In firefox all I see is the last one that is hosted on photobucket.

The other 6 that are hosted on Old VA don't show at all. Empty canvas.

On IE8 I get 6 red X placemarks and then the photobucket image.

Google Chrome is no better than IE8.

Is the server Old VA is on still sluggish, throttled... maybe related to a slow upload for the images here?  ???

Anyone else???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Can you see them Raindog. I just redirected server so ther may be an issue
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

RainDog

No problem here. Running Firefox on XP. No problem on my Vista machine either. Dunno.

Addendum: Whoops! Just lost all but the last one, I guess after the redirect.

NE OK

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on December 18, 2009, 05:21:02 PM
Strange goings on Peter. Not the folks in the pictures, but the pictures themselves.

In firefox all I see is the last one that is hosted on photobucket.

The other 6 that are hosted on Old VA don't show at all. Empty canvas.

On IE8 I get 6 red X placemarks and then the photobucket image.

Google Chrome is no better than IE8.

Is the server Old VA is on still sluggish, throttled... maybe related to a slow upload for the images here?  ???

Anyone else???

Don't Know Don.
I changed hosts and Re-directed the Domain a little while ago. Everything seems fine.
This is my photo album. See if you show anything.

http://photos.oldva.org/index.php
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

RainDog

NE OK

peternap

Quote from: RainDog on December 18, 2009, 05:31:57 PM

Page Not Found

Now I'm really confused. It's coming up for me and it shows in the server directory ???

devildog

I cant see pics

when I was younger goofing around w/pepper sspray, my eyes burned and watered for about a 1/2hr. I couldnt do anything but rub my eyes.  good thing I wasnt playing w/ a pistol
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

LeoinSA

Well - I decided to carry both my 9mm and my .357.  In the hotel room the .357 resided close to hand.  In the car both are buried deep and not accessible.

Through two Border Patrol Check Points yesterday and saw a Texas HWP have what appeared to be a woman and kids standing off to the side while he rummaged around in their trunk.  No details obviously as I passed at 75 MPH, but for me that is the worst nightmare as our Supreme Court has ruled that we citizens can have zero expectation of privacy outside our homes.  Too much 'big brother' for my tastes.

Leaving Deming here in an hour or so and heading for the night in Palmdale.

SardonicSmile

To me, it's not worth it unless you're going to be staying in a very dangerous area. If you do have to use your gun and you weren't carrying it legally, you'll be crucified by the legal system. The chances of being attacked are low, and the chances of dying are even lower.

muldoon

i'm back from colorado now, had a great trip.  no issues with the firearm and no cause to even load it.  that works for me. 

sardonic, I do understand you but when your traveling 2 or 3 thousand miles by car over a 2 week period you dont always know in advance when you are going to be a bad neighborhood.  your second statement about getting crucified by the legal system is very accurate.  there are plenty of cliches about this, judged by 12 then carried by 6 comes to mind.  but the fact remains that there are certainly consequences to peoples choices in this situation and they should be considered before doing it.  I think the original poster leo and certainly myself were considering those exact things when this question came up. 

LeoinSA

4084 miles and not a hiccup.

5 Border Patrol check points.

2 National Parks and 1 National Monument.

The only place I felt the least bit of apprehension was in El Paso.  Scruffy looking guys on the street outside the motel - but no issues.

To carry or not to carry is still a question.  For now, carrying for that 'just in case' scenario seems to me to be valid.

RainDog

NE OK

LeoinSA