Driving

Started by sparks, September 01, 2008, 10:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

Been thinking about posting this for some time now. A few months ago, I backed off on interstate speeds from 72-75 to 67-70. Actually picked up 1-2 mpg. Prior to slowing down a bit, probably 60 to 70 per cent of traffic went around me. Now it seems folks can't wait to find out what is in the bed of my truck.

In town, I typically drive 34 in a 30 mph zone. They are still trying to have a peek in the back of my truck.

Things that annoy me:

-tailgaters
-no turn signals, even if they work
-people using cell phones while driving
-people that "creep" at a red light (are they "creeps" ?)
- I'm waiting to make a right hand turn and some ***hole comes up on my left and blocks the view
-Young punk drivers that have a stereo going BOOM,BOOM,BOOM

Feel free to add to the list

Sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

StinkerBell

I hate it when the light is green for me and I make a right turn and the person coming from the opposite directions makes a left turn at the same time and cuts me off or pushes me out. The person making the right hand turn has the right of way. They do not do this when I am driving my big 350 diesel truck. somehow the see me.

StinkerBell

Yes, I also hate when people pick their nose and flick out the window...
Be decent about it, rub it on your jeans.

sparks

Boogers out the window, you are killing me. rofl rofl

desdawg

Does the wind carry it back to your windshield Stinkerbell?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

StinkerBell

Yes, especially when they roll the booger with their fingers before they flick. It's hard on the paint job.

desdawg

I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

You are soooo ga-ross, Stink.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

sparks

Just thought of another one .....the driver that flies around you and then slams on the brakes to make the exit ramp.

glenn kangiser

How about the bunch of dumb party  kids who pass you and spray silly string all over the front of your Kenworth and throw stuff ........until they find out that you can go faster than they can? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Put them in the ditch.

StinkerBell

I have actually seen an elderly person back up on a free way cause they missed their off ramp. No, not back up on the shoulder, but in a lane.

glenn kangiser

I don't think they will try that again.  I believe they soiled their panties.  They had to take a mountain side road with low trees to get away.  I didn't hurt them but figured they needed to learn a little respect for their own good.  Some people around here shoot for things like that.

Not me.  I didn't have a gun. heh

Stink --- respect your elders. ::)

MountainDon

Going up to and returning from the mountains this weekend...

... bicyclists riding 2 abreast on the two lane highway.

... car turning around on a curve on the highway; speed limit 45 with road very curvy.

... car passing us on a double yellow line section.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I hate anyone driving a Pinto.
I just hate those cars.

glenn kangiser

Don - check your e-mail regarding this.

Redoverfarm

I can see this list could go on forever.  But I will add a few. 

City dwellers are not accustomed to driving on mountain roads or curvey pieces.  They act like the straight pieces are the interstate and the curvey parts are their driveway.  40 mph on the turns and then 60-65 on the straights.  Problem is there are not that many straight pieces.  So after following them for 2-3 miles at 30-40 MPH you are all set to pass on the upcoming straights.  Then they excellerate to interstate speeds.  Ok out of the straight and back to the turns again following them for another 2-3 miles at 40 mph.

On a related note. I wonder just how much gas is saved by driving at or below the speed limit.  Say your trip is 60 miles.  You decrease your speed to 50 miles per hour.  So now you have traveled 50 miles in one hour.  You still have to drive the other 10 miles @ 50 miles per hour.  If you drove at 60 miles per hour you would be there.  Is the additional driving time any less gas consumption than driving at the higher limit in less time.   Yeah Yeah they say so. But think about it.

muldoon

ohh, I have some of these too.

people who do not stop at red lights.  Mostly these are the tailgaters that just sneak in behind the car in front of them even when its red.  The other class of red light runners are the "right on red" guys who somehow misunderstand that while they may turn - they still are supposed to stop at the light before doing so.  It makes me mad to be going along at 50 or 60 mph only to have someone make a turn onto the highway and go 20 in front of me when I have the green light. 

commercial vehicles who have the audacity to have stickers that say not responsible for damage, or driver cant see, or wide turns etc.  The signs basically say to me that the driver does not need to adhere to the same rules of the road as everyone else.  You cant refuse responsibility with just a sign. 

I don't like bicyclist on the road unless its in the neighborhoods.  I know this is a polarizing topic, but I dont see any reason for a bike to be on a 50mph street.  Especially those numbnuts that drive out to the country in their SUV then unrack these 1100 dollar roadbikes and silly clothes and then ride side by side in a 70mph 2 lane country road.  It is not a vehicle.  Within the neighborhoods, I would prefer they use the sidewalks, or at least stop at the stop signs. 

I try not to complain about speeders and the like.  I think everyone who drives faster than me is crazy, and everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot.  Problem is, I drive at different speeds at different times too, so I guess some days I am the madman and some days I am the idiot. 

MountainDon

Any vehicle will reach a point where aerodynamic drag exceeds the frictional losses. That's the point when it costs you more to go faster. That point will vary between vehicles. My Jeep with it's 4.5" lift hits that wall a lot sooner than the Honda Civic. At the far end if the gas hog scale is the RV. It hits that wall around 40 mph or so.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I do not like it when a snotty nose teenagers is driving a better car then me heh

MountainDon

That happens with frequency with me. It doesn't bother me though when I know that mine are paid for and there's very well might belong to Mom & Dad and is not paid for.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 02, 2008, 07:29:22 AM

City dwellers are not accustomed to driving on mountain roads or curvey pieces.  They act like the straight pieces are the interstate and the curvey parts are their driveway.  40 mph on the turns and then 60-65 on the straights.  Problem is there are not that many straight pieces.  So after following them for 2-3 miles at 30-40 MPH you are all set to pass on the upcoming straights.  Then they excellerate to interstate speeds.  Ok out of the straight and back to the turns again following them for another 2-3 miles at 40 mph.

Amen Red
and....

School buses that stop every block....When I was a kid you were lucky to be dropped off within a mile of your house. I killed my first bear with my loose leaf notebook on the way home from the bus stop. ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

You forgot to mention the shoes. Didn't have any until the snow started did ya. ;D

glenn kangiser

Quotecommercial vehicles who have the audacity to have stickers that say not responsible for damage, or driver cant see, or wide turns etc.  The signs basically say to me that the driver does not need to adhere to the same rules of the road as everyone else.  You cant refuse responsibility with just a sign.

The problem here is that once the driver starts the tractor around the corner, his mirror only shows the side of his trailer.  The sign is to warn people in little tiny cars, (That includes Hummers when compared to an 18 wheeler) that if they try to sneak in on the right and make a right turn in the area the trailers walks over, they will likely be run over.  The driver has to stay left to clear curbs, poles, signs , etc.  Trailers on big rigs can walk to the right 10 feet or more depending on how much room the driver has in front to make the turn.

The court will likely not hold the truck driver responsible for running over a car who snuck into the danger zone especially if it has a sign.  The car legally has to wait until the intersection is clear before proceeding and is in the wrong if he sneaks in and gets run over.  I know drivers who have run over cars that did that --- no problem.