24 x 32 on Tug Hill NY

Started by nysono, June 27, 2011, 09:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nysono

Quote from: AdironDoc on October 11, 2011, 10:38:29 PM
I can see why your wife likes that spot best. As to your own favorite spot... hopefully they aren't mutually exclusive! Great pics.. thanks for posting. Any deer trails on your acres? Hopefully no rain this weekend!

No its not mutually exclusive, I just havent had the time to enjoy it much yet but that will be changing soon.  There are a few deer trails on or at the edge of my property and we have seena  few bucks on our way in and out, one was a "wall hanger".  We definately need to thin the coyote population a bit, they started howling within 100-150 yrds of camp saturday night and the dogs really didnt like it, we couldnt get them settled down until a few hours later.  Yes, rain starting tonight and muzzleloader season starts saturday, I havent had good luck with black powder and a high moisture day,be it snow or rain.  Oh well, it is what it is, and we cant control that....sure beats working though

azatc

Wow, Steve!  Last time I was there it was just a hole in the ground.  I'm jealous as my shop isn't even on paper yet.  Looks good and can't wait to see it in person next month.

Tim

nysono

Quote from: azatc on October 12, 2011, 01:50:02 PM
Wow, Steve!  Last time I was there it was just a hole in the ground.  I'm jealous as my shop isn't even on paper yet.  Looks good and can't wait to see it in person next month.

Tim

We will be staying there while you are here hopefully.  Should be a good hunt, at least the amount of time you have allows you to be selective......to an extent

nysono

slow week this past week, I did manage to get 99% of the insulation done, cement board behind the wood stove and propane is now installed and all lights working.   Hunted (blackpowder) saturday and my season ended at 820am, a tasty little buck is now in the freezer.  That does give me some time to get more work done this week after work instead of hunting.....better hurry, rifle season opens this saturday. 

nysono

We havent done a whole lot lately (hunting season takes precidence).  We did get the cook stove and basement propane heater installed this past sunday and purchased a few of the kitchen cabinets, need to get one more and the counter top then installation time.  Last weekend of deer season coming up so more time to work on camp is coming especially if this weather holds out......no significant snow at all yet.  Pics to come this week if possible.

gplatt

We were wondering what plans you used. Did you use the 20x30 and modify them for your home? If you modified them, who did it and approved them?

nysono

Quote from: gplatt on December 10, 2011, 10:05:23 AM
We were wondering what plans you used. Did you use the 20x30 and modify them for your home? If you modified them, who did it and approved them?

I did the plans myself after reviewing alot of plans on the internet, and no, I dont do this for a living, I work in the medical field.  Did everything on graph paper to scale took that to county code officer and he reviewed and approved.  As long as I kept the "living" space under 1500sq ft I didnt need an architect stamp. It was a pretty simple process but I did use alot of paper and erasers making changes until I said thats it, lets build it.
Any other questions dont hesitiate to ask.

nysono

I think driving the truck into camp is about done, lake effect snow has arrived.  This web cam is about 2miles from my camp.

http://northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

gplatt

We are planning a home similar to yours and were wondering how much you paid for your roof trusses. Did you get both roof and floor trusses from SR Sloan?

nysono

Trusses and I joists came from Fabco, local truss manufacturer, I will look over paperwork to get you a price.

nysono

Finally was able to get into camp and look over paperwork for trusses and I joists

I joists were $36 each and truss package was $1900

I joists are 24'
Trusses are scissor trusses 10/12 outside pitch 6/12 inside 24' with 1' over hang, 2' on ceter and 2 gable ends

Hope that helps, sorry it took so long.

snowlover

Looking good wondering if you are heating the lower half with the concrete. And if so with what type of system.
Thanks from the fingerlakes

nysono

Quote from: snowlover on January 03, 2012, 07:15:50 AM
Looking good wondering if you are heating the lower half with the concrete. And if so with what type of system.
Thanks from the fingerlakes

I dont heat it usually,  I do have a 30K btu ventless heater in there but havent used it much yet.  We were up there over the past weekend andwe were very comfortable with the woodstove.  The basement doesnt seem to get much below freezing as of yet (that might change tonight with 10-15 below forecast).  I plan on putting in a "room" in the basement this coming summer so next year we will see just how hard it is to heat it.

nysono

Well, lots of things done at camp but pics are delayed due to home computer failure (on work computer now).  I will try to get some posted after this weekend.

nysono

Ok finally got some pics to post if I can remember how:

insulated, comfy with the fire

got the dry wall up and trim around the windows

took the cabinets in on sled this past winter, had to have something to do since there was not enough snow to ride sleds much

nysono

you can guess what this is for:

I can honestly say I very much dislike plumbing!!  But I sure like to use it.
this!!!!
40 PVC
oh the joy of having a shower
I didnt get any pictures of the well going in though.  We dug it with a excavator, 12, yes, twelve feet deep.  About 15 wide and 12 long, put a 3ft x 3ft tile in and 6" shedule PVC in center of tile.  Dumped 23 tons of cobble stone in around tile and covered.  This gives me about a 1200+/- gallon resourvoir that refills in about 8-10 hours.  Well is 225' from camp and over 300 from septic field.  As dry as it has been this year we have had all the water we need.

It has been a hot one this year for sure:

the bell is from our honeymoon to Maine 2 yrs ago

nysono

we picked a lot of rock over the past 2 years so  we decided to put it to good use:

I have never done this before but Im very happy with the way it came out, the mantle I cut out of a hickory log with a chainsaw, need to keep the camp look, great worm tracks just under the bark, I need to get some close ups to show all.

We started the tongue and groove today and it is going pretty well. hope to have this wall done by next weekend:

Ths summer has been much more relaxing since all is dried in and livable but the progress appears much slower than watching a whole camp go up in a few months.  Frustrating sometimes but very satisfing also

Sassy

Your cabin is looking really nice - great job on the fireplace.  Wonderful to be able to start enjoying it, isn't it? 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

drainl

I really like the fireplace - nice job! 

nysono

another weird winter here in northern ny, 57+ degrees right now and very, very litle snow left.  This is not good for the water table and the wells that depend on it.  Oh well, I guess I need t look at it like I did last year, no snow to ride snowmobile allows me to save more $$ for camp projects.  Haven't done anything this winter to speak of, at this point I would like the snow gone and spring to arrive so I can get going on more projects.......I dont expect it will ever be done.

pocono_couple

hey there,  great job!  i love the  t/g on the walls and the way that you did the area for the wood stove.   I read your comment about slowing down once you got things comfortable, and i totally understand..  we started our build about 4 years ago..  worked on it off and on.. but we spent the whole summer there last year - simply loved it - but did not get a whole lot done - or so it seemed!   we spent christmas break there, and i try to get out every weekend, but now the push is on, because we are going to be living there permanently starting this coming summer.   i also wonder if it will ever really get done!

we experienced the same weird warm temps here in the poconos early this week, but the cold air came back with some blustery winds last night and today. i imagine that you are experiencing the same thing..   i am looking forward to seeing more pics once you get back to work!   jt