Wood stove recommendations

Started by Jared Drake, April 13, 2009, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

As you know, I'll hopefully be closing on 26.5 acres in a couple of months and we're planning on using a very slightly modified 18x24 Little House as our weekend/hunting cabin. I'm trying to find a wood stove for heat and was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions. I've looked at marine stoves, but holy cow! Those things are expensive. Thanks for your help.
Jared

Redoverfarm

Jared I guess asking about a woodstove is about asking which is better Ford or Chevy.  I did a search of Woodstoves in various post throughout the forum and there is some good info to read including namebrands and their recommendations.  You might keep in mind the sq ft that you intend to heat and stay within or a little over for the BTU's required.  I would stay away from big box store stoves which are not real fuel efficent. Although there is really no such thing as an air tight stove some do a better job than others.  Try to get one that is considered "air tight".   

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=search2

Jared Drake

I did a search and didn't come up with anything that specifically discussed types and brands of wood stoves. Your link just took me to the "set search parameters" page.
Jared

MountainDon

Jared, you use that "set search parameters" page to enter what you want to search for. It works quite well and works even better after you try it out using the selectable limits.

Some questions about your wood stove needs...

Will the cabin be insulated? If so most stoves out there are way bigger than what is needed for a cabin of about 432 sq ft. It just so happens that is the size of my cabin. We have a Vermont Casting Aspen stove. It is a great stove. It carries a fire overnight with no problem. It's not cheap either; likely somewhere between $800 - $900 now.

One thing to keep in mind when stove shopping is to watch what the manufacturers recommended clearance to combustibles is. Many cheap stoves are not able to be placed within 36" of a combustible wall/item.

There are a few other quality small stoves out there; Morso and Jotul have small models in their line up. There are a couple other names I can not recall at present.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Jared sorry about that I thought it would give you what I was seeing.  Just put "wood stove" in and hit search.  Previous post with "wood stoves" will show.

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

pagan

If you're looking at very light usage you could buy a used stove pretty cheap, otherwise I would go with a good airtight like the Jotul. If you're insulating really well with foam you're not going to need a large stove at all. Our cabin is 16' X 20' with a full loft, 2' knee wall, and is insulated with a combination of foam and dense packed cello. We have an old Waterford Stanely wood cookstove that we use for our only heat source. It easily heats our house even on the coldest days which get well below zero degrees. We just let the fire go out at night and start a new fire in the morning. The house is usually around 60 degrees by morning, which isn't bad considering the fire goes out before midnight and we get up around six.

Windpower

I have a small Vermont castings that heats an old 30'x 30' farm house in Wisconsin winters

plenty of heat

go for the non catalytic IMO
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

pagan

Yeah, definitely non catalytic.

MountainDon

The Morso is a well made stove but the firebox is rather short. It's wider than it is deep. I didn't like that. That was one reason we picked the VC Aspen; it will take 16" long although the firebox is narrower. One other thing I liked about the VC was the availability of the outside air kit.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

I had a small model QuadraFire and it heated a 1400+ sqft house very nicely.  This little cabin should require something even smaller.

I'm putting in an old franklin stove for now, if I don't like it, I'll move to an airtight, but there is a lot of downed wood to burn on the property before I have to start cutting and seasoning.  Mentioning the Franklin stove is not a recommendation, I just know I can cook on it and am looking forward to the exercise/experiment/journey....

cordwood

How many on here have actualy tried to perc. coffee on an "efficient" air tight. All the ones I have had with a catalyst plate or a reburn chamber were slow to cook on and useless to perc. a pot of coffee :-\.
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Redoverfarm

Cord if I could get it to lay flat on the sides without spilling it might but the top may keep a stew warm and that is about it.  But mine is a soapstone.

MountainDon

Our little Aspen will bring water in a pot or kettle to a boil

John Raabe

Here a list of the search page on CountryPlans.com using the term "wood stove"

I used the overall site search button here: http://www.countryplans.com/search.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

John I suggested that and gave him the link for search and to Key word as permeters.  Not real sure whether it worked for him. I tried and sucessfully got all the post that way.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=search2

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 13, 2009, 09:08:08 PM
Jared sorry about that I thought it would give you what I was seeing.  Just put "wood stove" in and hit search.  Previous post with "wood stoves" will show.