Wood stoves

Started by grover, October 26, 2013, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

I'm trying to get the outside of the cabin finished before the weather gets too bad but soon we it will be getting really cold and I'm gonna need some heat and that means a wood stove.  I'm not at all educated about the subject.  I know there are good name brands (read expensive) and there are some that aren't so good.  The main not so good one that comes to mind is a Vogelzang Defender that Menards sells.  Please don't get offended if you have one because I don't really know that it is not a good stove, I'm just going by price.  For instance a Lopi Republic 1250 that I looked at today at a fireplace specialty store was priced about like it's name at $1250.  The Vogelzang sells for about $399 when it is on sale and it looks decent to me.

Is the Lopi really 3 times the stove?  Is it the metal quality and thickness that makes the difference?  What else? 

My cabin is about 672 sq ft with a cathedral ceiling plus a loft.  What should I be looking for?

Thanks   

considerations

Your place is about the same size and shape as mine. I do not think you will need any more than the smallest model no matter which you choose. It is also likely that you will spend as much on the chimney as you do on the stove, something to consider when pricing. Others will have recommendations that are brand specific..I will refrain as Im using an old cast iron Franklin and not an air tight, which is the type likely to be approved for use. Mine is grand fathered in because of the laws in this state.

I will mention that I had the smallest Quadra Fire available at the time in my 1400 sqft home in Oregon and it was quite sufficient and I found it attractive. That was in 1998 or so, stats, models, and prices may have changed since.

The other thing to consider is chimney placement...you may have already picked or locked in a spot...I have a 12/12 roof and the chimney comes out near the ridge...making me persona non grata with the chimney sweeps who do not like the hazardous pitch they must contend with.

Just food for thought.

flyingvan

A quality woodstove will consume much less wood, be better at temperature regulation, burn wood completely with less ash, and have good start-up draft.  It will have long burn time---being able to sleep all night and just add wood in the morning is really nice.
   THe Vogelzang (built in China) is fairly thin steel but perform OK.  The heat output tends to be hot and cold.  If this is meant for occasional use or mood setting the Vogelzang will be fine.  If this will be the primary heat source for a long time, get something with more thermal mass that heats and cools more slowly.
   Good features to have---outside air draft.  If it draws air from outside, it won't create a negative pressure in the house and cold spots near windows and doors.  For us, a window is a must---free light, easy to see when to add wood.
   As Considerations mentioned, placement is very important---the closer to the center of the structure, the better it will draft and evenly heat.  Design a place to store wood inside, at least 24 hours worth.
   Woodstoves are an excellent thing to buy on Craigslist.  It's pretty obvious what condition they are in.  Put in new door seals and you're good to go...
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Brian_G

A wood stove is defiantly not a place to skimp on. We heated our home in northern NJ (1005 sq ft) for three years with a cheap cast iron stove. We averaged about 2 cords of wood a year. We upgraded the stove to a soap stone stove and reduced our wood usage to about a cord a year and were able to go a lot longer between stoking. This is real important if you are away from the home for long periods of the day as we are.

new land owner

Make sure to check Craig's list.  I got mine stove on Craig's List for $250.00.  It's a Vermont Casting and a very high quality stove. I think the full retail is about $1,000.  Mine was hardly used at all when I picked it up. Considerations is right, I payed much more for my chimney than my stove.

MountainDon

That's a steal on the VC Aspen.  :)

Nice stove, we have one
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the grey material that the stove sits on?
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

new land owner

The stove is sitting on Cement backer board.  I intend to tile the base at some point.  Tile backer board gives me a fire proof surface and it is needed for tile anyway.  Here is an updated picture with the stove pipe installed. I have found that it takes about two hours to get the stove to throw off a decent amount of heat.  Once it is going it heats my camp fine but you need patience, something that I lack.

firefox

Thanks for the explanation. It really looks nice what you have done.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Windpower

Vermont castings are excellent

Stainless insulated Chimney pipe is about $35 per foot

our stove is about 2' X 2' X 2' in size but it has heated our whole house (upstairs and downstairs) when the out side temp was in the 20's

Vermont Castings 'Reliant Acclaim'

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Squirl

The VC Aspen is a popular model.  Things that increase the price:

How nice the finish is.  Is it bare steel or ceramic coating finish?

Size.

Is there a high temperature clear door for viewing?

How thick the steel is.

What bricks/stone are integrated into the stove.  As someone mentioned this will help with mass, thermal cycling.

Is there a fresh air intake integrated?  Add on? As flying van mentioned. This will keep the stove from drawing cold air in through all the cracks in the house.

How airtight is it put together.

Is it catalytic?

Clearance.  This is one of the factors that many overlook.  Many less expensive stoves have little or no heat shielding and can require up to 3 feet of clearance from combustibles such as the wall.  Putting stone in between does not count.  A heat shield costs money too, so it can be better to just have it integrated into the stove.

As many other have mentioned an airtight efficient stove can cut your usage of fuel, work, and just keep you more comfortable.  In my area, a cord of good wood has been running around $150 not delivered and the last I checked prices on that don't usually fall.  Even if you collect your own wood and factor in your own time it can add up over the years.  A few hundred dollars extra upfront may be worth it.  That being said, from what I have seen, many of the highest priced stoves are based on finish.  They are gorgeous, but that is a large part of what you are paying for.

That is all I can think of on the subject.

grover

Watching craigslist every day.  If nothing comes up I will have to decide on how to spend my money on new.

suburbancowboy

Nobody ever says, "I wish I had bought a cheaper model or less efficient " on anything.  I started off with a cheap stove, moved to a better stove which is ok. But now wish I had had gone with a really good stove to start with.  One of the few things I would do over.  Anyway I use to have a lopi in my old house.  Heated the whole 2000sf one winter.  If I buy another one that is what I will get.  Also buy a couple of thermo-electric fans for it.  It will help heat the place up faster.

MountainDon

Same as with many things... you get as much as you pay for.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Outside wood furnaces are popular here

like this

http://www.centralboiler.com/

but they now have to be 100 feet from any buildings and the tube to carry the heated water is $12+ a foot

that's $2400 just for the tube minimum (I think the propane dealers lobbied for that reg) because 100 feet from a metal pole barn is crazy from a safety standpoint -- let alone if you have less than a acre lot....

but they do work well I have heard and it leaves the wood mess outside
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

grover

Anyone know the quality of an Osburn wood stove?

astidham

Sorry this isnt answering your above question, but have you considered a pellet stove?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

zion-diy

I bought my stove on craigs list for $35. heats my 20'x40' house in the Ozarks just fine. I installed the stove in 2005. still going strong.
I simply made a 2x6 base topped with cement board and covered that with tile. Behind the stove, more cement board and more tile.
No matter what stove you chose, Be sure to not skimp on the chimney. That's where the real danger is. I chose a concrete block chimney with a clay flue.

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

Alan Gage

If you're looking for a low priced but quality stove I don't think you're going to be able to beat an Englander (AKA Summer's Heat). You'll find lots of happy Englander users on the Hearth.com forums, as well as opinions on any other stove on the planet. I've had two of them and have been happy.

Alan

grover

Pellet stove?

No, this is my first and I think I have to go with wood.

astidham

Quote from: grover on November 01, 2013, 01:15:35 PM
Pellet stove?

No, this is my first and I think I have to go with wood.
FYI, pellets are also wood.
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on November 01, 2013, 04:06:06 PM
but not DIY wood  ;D
True Don,
I looked around my house, and noticed that im the only male, and a bag of pellets would be easier to manage for my girls if they needed heat.
There might still be a wood stove in my future.
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Quotenoticed that im the only male

things like that do need to be considered. 

UK4X4

"noticed that im the only male

things like that do need to be considered"

My wife cuts chops, splits and stacks as good as me and i'm twice her weight......

she does not do the chain saw though......she holds the first aid kit !