4 way deck piers

Started by chiassoncabin, August 11, 2011, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiassoncabin

An old question, but an new form of question.
The  foundation be good and strong if building a 20x32 cabin with 12 piers (3 rows of 4) with 24 inch deep concrete holes (for the frost lines) with the piers sitting on them placed at no more than six feet apart in central OK. The 2x6 beams will be screwed together and held tight inside the blocks.
Thank you for your time and energy to read and respond.

Squirl

Absolutely not.  There aren't many scenarios where you can span that kind of space.  Especially not with 2x6's for a 10.5 ft span.  Here is a quick guide to girder sizing and pier spacing.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10511.0

Remember the center girder only holds the load from the floor and not the roof, unless you are going with a purlin or ridge beam.

In the 20x30 plans on the homepage it has all the safe spacing, sizing, and all the rest of the lumber and framing specified.  It save a lot of time spent in designing and calculating.  It took me a few months of reading the building code and framing books to learn how to design a place that could safely carry and distribute loads.

BTW  w*

rick91351

w*

There are several very book books available on this parent web site under tools.

http://www.countryplans.com/tools.html

Next where are you building?  A general location is helpful.

Before you start planing too deep is this going to have to go to an engineer?  If it is -- all you planing will be for not... The engineer will pretty well handle all that stuff.

If you do not know for sure contact your local building department for that area.

I think I sort of see or understand what you want to do but I really do not understand four way deck piers used as blocks.  If it is those cheesy cinder block / concrete products that build centers sell for decks BIG NO WAY!  However if it is something else we are not aware of ??? like to see it.  Remember you want to build for a life time and not something three years from now you are under your building jacking and cussing.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

chiassoncabin

Thank you all for the help and replies, this is all new and want it done right but at the same time to learn and accomplish this home. I will dive in and make the list that we need. Thank you so very much, we will be starting this in may, as we are in KS and the land is in OK. We are looking forward to moving forward and learning from this forum and hope to share interests here with all of you, thanks for a forum like this, the encouragement and tools needed to see this thru.

chiassoncabin

BTW, there are no building codes according to mcalester, the county seat for that county, and the land has no build restrictions, located just outside of eufaula, ok

rick91351

Quote from: chiassoncabin on August 11, 2011, 02:09:19 PM
BTW, there are no building codes according to mcalester, the county seat for that county, and the land has no build restrictions, located just outside of eufaula, ok

Great  - We have family and close friends all over OK.  My mom was an Okie,  From the Supply, Laverne Area.  They got dusted out in the dust bowl era.  Many came here to this area in Idaho and settled.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

astidham

Quote from: chiassoncabin on August 11, 2011, 02:05:09 PM
Thank you all for the help and replies, this is all new and want it done right but at the same time to learn and accomplish this home. I will dive in and make the list that we need. Thank you so very much, we will be starting this in may, as we are in KS and the land is in OK. We are looking forward to moving forward and learning from this forum and hope to share interests here with all of you, thanks for a forum like this, the encouragement and tools needed to see this thru.
there is no better place to start than here, I am building in Skiatook Ok with the help of this forum.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Squirl

That is great.   I did the same.  I purchased a set of plans to double check how they looked before submission to a building department because I am in a code area.  Also to show support for the forum.  I wanted to learn to fish rather than buy a fish.  I like the building codes in general because they are a publicly published standard on what is generally considered safe.  I first recommend the framing book listed in the book guide.  It is highly illustrated and easy to understand.  It will help you get down the proper nomenclature to also easily communicate with suppliers and others in the industry.  There is a code section in the general and free links section of this forum.  You can find most sizing/load specifications in there.

chiassoncabin

this forum and everyone here seems to be awesome, I was born in Stigler and kinda down in the area. Here in KS the land is high, but wanted in the area there and love the state ass well. We are looking forward to learning and sharing with this forum and you guys. We will be diving into the materials and do alot of reading (haha). The best part is that there is a great diversity but share the same interests. Thank you all and look forward to hearing from you all and seeing your projects as well as we will share ours.

Erin

QuoteHere in KS the land is high
It is?   ???  We spent $400 per acre here in Kansas...  Most folks think that was a pretty good deal!  ;)

That said, I'll echo the suggestion to get some of the books like what are listed in the link rick posted.  My personal favorites are:  Independant Builder by Sam Clark, Graphic Guide to Frame Construction, and (not in the link) Do It Yourself Housebuilding by George Nash.
All of the above are excellent resources on the basics of how a house fits together, what is "allowed" so far as structural requirements and have a BUNCH of pictures.  

I have a couple dozen books on the various components of house building, but these are ones I seem to always come back to.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

chiassoncabin

We are in the Lawrence area, and we were looking for land here and surrounding counties, example is perry lake a lot is 2,000 but the property tax is 1200 a year, also was told by realtors that on 10 hiway going to KC the land is more expensive, also we were really wanting land in OK as I was born there and love what the state has to offer, I am surprised that you got land for that price, as that is not here, thank you and for letting us know that there is cheaper land in western part of KS.
We are looking forward to hearing from you guys.

MountainDon

Use nails, not screws, for any structural construction.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.