Aluminum Single Pane Windows with Storm Inserts?

Started by Oljarhead, September 28, 2009, 04:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oljarhead

OK I'm fighting the window bug now.

I need to decide on what windows to put in, but have planned to do that once I buy them rather then the traditional way.  Why?  I'm trying to frame up the shell for under $3k complete which means I need to get windows and door off Craig's List or somewhere else and then frame to them.

I don't want to go crazy either but it's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

So, here is my dilema:  I've found 4 windows that are 60x36 and one that is 36x30 (privacy) and I can have all of them for a whopping $70 total.

However, they are aluminum windows -- single pane.  

They do have storm inserts but I'm just not liking it.

Here's the deal, I'm building a cabin not a house.  It's not going to be lived in, it's off the grid and will be vacant 80-90% of the time.  I really shouldn't worry.  Besides that, I've lived in a well insulated cabin (600 square feet) which got so hot when the stove was on that I had to open the loft window in sub zero weather!  So part of me thinks less is more in this case becuase the wood stove will roast us out if the windows are too good and the insulation too good!

Maybe not -- maybe I'm a nut job? hehe

But, my thought is this:  if I build to these and decide I don't like them I could then replace them later and the cost today is nothing really -- it's the cost of ONE new window and that a small one!

Advise?  Thoughts?

JRR

Can you buy double the windows that you need?  That way you could install an inner and outer window in each window-opening.  Maybe not as good (and I'm not so sure ..) as insulated windows, but a step in the "right" direction.

MountainDon

What is it you don't like about them?

From what you've said in other threads, about this being un-used most of the time and so on, maybe going with the cheap aluminum single panes is good enough for the purpose. They won't meet code for a habitable building, but it looks like they're not the only parts that will be out of code.  ;)

Replacing windows later is a big PITA, in my opinion.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Oljarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on September 28, 2009, 07:53:54 PM
What is it you don't like about them?

From what you've said in other threads, about this being un-used most of the time and so on, maybe going with the cheap aluminum single panes is good enough for the purpose. They won't meet code for a habitable building, but it looks like they're not the only parts that will be out of code.  ;)

Replacing windows later is a big PITA, in my opinion.

Size isn't exactly what I had in mind -- but mostly I'm not 100% sure about using cheap old windows versus something a little newer....this is 4 60x36's and the cabin is a 14x24...I was looking for maybe one 60x36 for the main view out of the 'living area' and the rest smaller in the 2x3, 3x3 ranges...

Anyway, just a curiosity thing as I look at options...the price is right though!

Oljarhead

Just found another -- 30 double glazed aluminum windows $2 ea -- sounds a little too good to be true but I sent out a contact to see what's available.

Summer is the issue for me more then winter right now -- in the winter when we go the stove will roast us out...in the summer if it gets hot...well we probably won't even go! haha...I like it cool myself.

Anyway, I might reconsider and get double pane windows...I'm just not certain which way I really want to go.

And no, I don't plan on living here and use is limited and while i plan to keep costs down I'm buying an excellent wood stove and spending decent money on solar power etc...so it's not that I'm cheap! hehe

rick91351

For me I would not equate windows and doors to green usage and carbon foot print and all that 'stuff'.  For me it equals work.  The better the windows and doors less wood I have to go through.  Less wood I have to go through less work - cutting wood or worse yet buying wood which still equals work.  It also equals quality of living.  If you can be happy with drafts and windows rattling every time the wind blows so be it.  Our current home had them the aluminum single panes with the storm inserts.  They are now all gone, a few at a time, over the years.  Wish I could say I miss them.

But with that said if you are not going to live there all the time.... More just a summer home or get away and you feel you would be happy with them go for it.  To me there is a great reason 'they just don't make them like that any more'. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Oljarhead

We've replaced all the windows in our house with Vinyl Low-e double pane windows also.  Saves money and cuts down on the noise!  I've got a better AC pump which lowered my costs and put in 6" walls on the addition as well as better insulation -- and I'm thinking of doing more insulation soon to try to decrease heat loss and gain etc etc....but that's in the home we live in.

My cabin is a retreat.

However, the point may be moot as I am building this on a shoe string budget funded by my wewbsite (uh oh the cats out of the bag now) and I may have gained another advertiser who in turn will increase my cabin budget ;)

Gotta love the internet.

Anyway, it isn't that I don't see value in things like 2x8 or even 2x10 floors, poured concrete foundations, super insulation and the like, but I am trying to be sane while building my hide-away.  Furthermore, it's hopefully not the final cabin in the woods!  It's hopefully the kids cabin or the guest cabin and life will see me build a nice log cabin some day soon!

Erik